Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 4 and no milk!!!

Default Day 4 and no milk!!!

Hi, I'm a new mom of twins, 36 weeks, and I'm 43 y.o.. They are from embryo donation so I have been on IVF meds for several years. I also have a history of hypo-thyroid. I believe I have post partum preclampsia as well. Otherwise, we are all doing great, the babies were 7pd 1oz and 6pd 6oz. My problem is, I have not gotten any milk in. The babies have latched on, but are frustrated cause there is nothing there. I have been pumping each time they eat and a few times have gotten some cholostrum (? spelling), but otherwise am not getting anything. Can anyone tell me if it is to late for my milk to come in and if not, what can I do to encourage it?
    Thanks,
    Margie

Default Re: Day 4 and no milk!!!

Congratulations on your twins! Putting the babies to the breast as often as possible will help encourage your milk production. Also, the colostrum is wonderful for them. It's not too unusual for a woman's milk to come in after 5-7 days.

c-section moms can have a harder time too...
    are they getting bottles of something else?
    Get some help right away as soon as your milk does come in.
    if you get engoraged try this it will help, I wish that I would have know about it with my babies.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

Have things gotten any better? Please keep us posted.

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. As I'm sure you all can understand, new born twins at 43 is a bit overwhelming but so very wonderful. I am blessed with an awesome husband who has been more than I could have hoped for. It's only been the past two days that I see a relief from the post partum preclampsia, thank God! My milk has indeed started to come in, but I am behind the twins in the amount that they need. I'm sure I will catch up eventually. I have been having difficulty getting them to latch on now that they have been on the bottle for a week. I think it is hard for them to get milk out and they easily get frustrated. I did get my little man to stay on for about fifteen minutes tonight though so I am encouraged. I'm determined and have excellent support from my husband so I know it will all work out. Thanks so much for the help, it means alot to be able to have a place to go to get real answers.
    Blessings to all.....

you can try reverce pressure softing for the engorgment.
    I wish that i would have known about it with my kids..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

and remember too when you get them home you can work on getting rid of the bottles altogether if thats what you want.
    Most important is to get them eating and strong so they can come home!

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try it.... But I feel I mislead you. My babies are home with me. They were both very healthy at birth, one weighing 7pd 1oz and the other 6pd 6oz. And that was four weeks early Praise God! Imagine if I would have went full term!!! The little boy is latching on and eating about half the time, but the girl wants and easy feed. But for some reason, the cut off bottle nipple trick looks like it has potential. I may give that a try. Thanks for all your help, you guys are great!

Glad things are going well. Congrats on your little ones and wow what a great birth weight on them. I cannot imagine twins, I carried my daughter for 34 weeks before she decided to show up and was in the NICU, she was 5 1/2 lbs. Way to go to you for making it that long & hanging in there to nurse!!!!!!

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline
    Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; August 2nd, 2006 at 09:39 PM.

Congrats!!

DD was 3 weeks early - but my milk did not come in until day 7 - but i put her to breast constantly and she was somewhat satisfied until then. Good luck!!

Congratulations and cheers for you for all your efforts with BF so far! I'm so glad you are seeing some improvments! And your babies sound wonderful.

Were you treated for post partum ecclampsia?? If you were, and particularly if you were treated with magsulfate, that can certainly hinder your milk coming in. I went through this very thing myself. But it DID indeed come in and eventually came in with an overabundance... so keep the faith! Staying really really well hydrated helped me and helped wash the drugs through my system...
    best of luck,
    -linda