Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long can you keep out of fridge?

Default How long can you keep out of fridge?

I am in the process of trying to get my sweetheart to take a bottle. Once you refrigerate breastmilk and then take it out to use in a bottle, how long can it sit out? My daughter will not take the bottle and so I am wasting a ton of bm. I would like to keep trying throughout the day and need to know when the milk is "no good".

Default Re: How long can you keep out of fridge?

There are lots of different opinions out there, and you can spend a ton of time on the internet reading everybody's suggestions of X # of hours, blah blah blah. But what I always did was just put it back in the fridge, and then I would check it when I wanted to give it to DD again to make sure it still smelled/tasted fine, the same way I would with the cow's milk I drink, and we never had a problem. Just my 2 cents!

I would suggest starting with really small amounts, 1 oz or less, for less waste.

Start with just an ounce or so to try so that you don't have to waste such precious stuff! But, b/m can sit at room temp (70's) for 10 hours according to my LC.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fabmom View Post
    Start with just an ounce or so to try so that you don't have to waste such precious stuff! But, b/m can sit at room temp (70's) for 10 hours according to my LC.
    That figure is for freshly pumped bm, not previously refrigerated ebm, IIRC. I think refigerated bm is supposed to sit out for no more than an hour. I'd put it back in the fridge after that. As for rewarming, my family's general rule is to rewarm a bottle only once, once in a while twice if there is a lot left and it still smells okay.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Molly.

JUst adding that when I read this title "How long can you keep out of the fridge?" I giggled. Me? Keep out of the fridge? About 5 minutes.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    That figure is for freshly pumped bm, not previously refrigerated ebm, IIRC. I think refigerated bm is supposed to sit out for no more than an hour. I'd put it back in the fridge after that. As for rewarming, my family's general rule is to rewarm a bottle only once, once in a while twice if there is a lot left and it still smells okay.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellyann View Post
    Molly.

JUst adding that when I read this title "How long can you keep out of the fridge?" I giggled. Me? Keep out of the fridge? About 5 minutes.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!