Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side effects from Reglan??

Default Side effects from Reglan??

For you mamas who have taken Reglan to increase supply, what side effects have you noticed (for both you and your LO?) I am thinking of asking my OB to prescribe it for me (having a terrible time keeping up with demand for LO's milk at daycare) and have tried everything... oatmeal, water, fenugreek... I used to be able to pump 12-14 ounces per day, no problem... now I can barely get 9 ounces, and that's with 4 pumping sessions. It used to fluctuate with my cycle, but now it just seems to have decreased and hasn't come back up... I have noticed the dramatic decrease for the last couple months... Honestly, I think my main problem is severe sleep deprivation, but I don't see an end to that coming anytime soon. Can you mama's who have taken Reglan tell me what you've experienced (including how much of an increase, if any, in pump output?)

Also, are there any other meds available in the US that you would recommend for increasing supply?

Thanks so much,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Default Re: Side effects from Reglan??

I personally can not take it. I found out I got the shakes and real jittery from it. I was also unable to stay awake. It made me feel so bad I came off of it within 24hrs. I That is just my experience though.

I took it as an anti nausea in pregnancy. It helped with the nause but it made me very jittery and fidgety as well.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

Thanks for the feeback, mamas... I really appreciate it! I was also reading that domperidone (Motilium) can also be taken to increase supply... does anyone have any comments on your experience with that one?

Thanks so much!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy23 View Post
    I took it as an anti nausea in pregnancy. It helped with the nause but it made me very jittery and fidgety as well.

I did the same( took for nausea during pregnancy) I stopped after 2 days though because it gave me diarrhea and stomahc cramps and didn't help with the nausea at all.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I took domperidone with my first son and it helped. Also, several women at my breastfeeding support group take it. I just ordered some from New Zealand just in case I need it if my supply drops when I go back to work. One of the mom's in the support group went from pumping out a 1/2 ounce each breast to an ounce each breast in 2 days and then from 2 ounces to 4 ounces by day four. She went from feeding her daughter one bottle of breastmilk a day to full day supply and no longer uses formula. I'm sure results are different with everyone. I do know that she was diligent about pumping.

I've heard a side effect of Reglan is depression, so I opted for domeridone. Of course, check with your doc before going on any medication.

Wife to Brian, Mother to James 11/28/2005 and Kevin 02/24/2008.

03/06/2008 8 pounds 3 ounces
    03/11/2008 8 pounds 12 ounces
    03/21/2008 9 pounds 12 ounces
    04/08/2008 11 pounds exactly
    05/01/2008 13 pounds 6 ounces
    05/08/2008 14 pounds exactly

Breastfeeding goals:
    2 weeks
    4 weeks
    6 weeks
    2 months
    3 months
    6 months
    9 months
    1 year!!

Domperidone is available by prescription in the US from a compounding pharmacist. However, most doctors here won't prescribe it, although it is commonly used in Canada and (I believe) the UK and some other places, and it IS legal to use here. Just differences in how the various countries/people interpret the risks.

I used it for a few months early on due to supply issues. I didn't have any side effects. I'm not sure how much it helped versus things improving on their own. I did not notice a huge effect - though I am not in the group for which one is expected. Dr. Jack Newman has some good info about domperidone and who benefits most from it on his website (he's a Canadian doctor specializing in breastfeeding).

I have also heard that depression can be a side effect from using Reglan. I had PPD and so when my supply suffered when I went back to work full time I chose not to use it. I opted for Domperidone (after doing everything else possible like drinking plenty of fluids, oatmeal, fenugreek and pumping/nursing like a madwoman). Domperidone worked well for me and I had no side effects.
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

I took Reglan for anti nausea (did not work for me), but I did not realize how icky I felt from it, I just thought it was pregnancy making me feel that way. I suffer from depression, and saw the warning, but thought since I took it before I would be okay trying it for my supply issue. Well, bad idea. I took the medicine for one day when my LO was about 5 months and I thought I was losing my mind. I called my dr and she quickly realized what was happening and had me stop. With in 24 hrs I was feeling much better, but I do not advise using reglan if you suffer from depression!

I'm on Reglan now and someone on the site suggessted to take a half a pill 3x a day and it's helping. I'm not jittery or tired! hope this helps.