Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old sleeping a lot more

Default 2 month old sleeping a lot more

my 2 month old has been sleeping a lot more in the last couple of days. he has been really struggling with gas, and only has a bm, but an explosive one, once a day or every few days. until then, he seems pretty grumpy. today was an explosion day, and he seems very sleepy. he is pretty much sleeping through the night, but he is feeding less frequently and for a shorter period of time - sometimes only 5-8 minutes. i just wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and whether or not i should worry. my doctor has me giving him vitamins with iron, and i'm wondering if it's causing him some problems.

Default Re: 2 month old sleeping a lot more

My LO is almost seven weeks and is having some of the same issues. She has done nothing but sleep and snack - 5-7 minutes nursing sessions - the last two days. Jessica, the board moderator, replied to my post, "Sleeping too much?", and said that it was probably just because my LO had had a busy day before. Could also be the LO gearing up for a growth spurt.

As long as there are still a good number of wet and poopie diapers, then all is probably ok. BF babies are also known to only have one poopie diaper per day, and the LC said that they can actually go for a couple days with a bm at all, so not to worry.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Why does your DR have you giving him a vitamin? Also, the iron in the vitamin would tend to make the stool more solid, not more liquid...at least that's what the pedi said to me about the iron in the formula supplement I had to give for a while.
    Fran

mine is 7 weeks old and is doing the same. but since yesterday she has had these crying spells because of gas. it is frustrating. i guess we have to hang in there.

I'm so sorry to hear about your problems. I think the sleeping is normal, but I'm surprised you're giving him an iron supplement. Too much can be toxic and from what I read, babies don't need any extra iron and it can lead to gastric upset.

My 10 week old is having one or two explosions per day and went the day yesterday without one. That's totally normal. For the gas, I would suspect the iron is the culprit if the two coincided. You can also try Mylecon (sp?). It takes large gas bubbles and makes them smaller. Also, try the collic hold (on belly, in your arms, at waist height). Do you have a copy of What to Expect the First Year? Check what they say about iron and vitamins. If you want to continue a vitamin supplement, find one w/o the iron.

Not sure what the sleepiness is related to, but I think it's normal to have changes in sleep patterns. My son has days where he's more awake or asleep.

Good Luck!!

We've been experimenting in our house to try and reduce LO's gas. I cut out entirely leafy green vegetables. It's a HUGE sacrifice because I am a salad queen and with broccoli also on the banned list, it leaves few other green veggies to eat. But, guess what, NO MORE GAS!!! We have been amazed at how much more calm the evenings are. There are still fussy jags and some farts, but it's so much better than before.

All that said, could it be something that you're eating, even something healthy, that's the culprit. For now, I'm leafy green veggie free...missing them but soooo worth it!
    Fran