Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: squirmy eater?

Default squirmy eater?

my lo is 6 weeks old and everything is going great but the last couple of days when he eats he throw his head around. he stays latched on but its really begining to do a number on my nipples..anyone know how to stop it?

Default Re: squirmy eater?

I am sorry that i can't help - but I am in the same boat and can't wait to hear what people have to say!

Quote Originally Posted by kishykat View Post
    my lo is 6 weeks old and everything is going great but the last couple of days when he eats he throw his head around. he stays latched on but its really begining to do a number on my nipples..anyone know how to stop it?
    My LO did (and still does) the same thing. I discovered that she has gas and stop the feeding to burp her, which has helped a lot. Not sure if your LO has the same issue, but I thought it cannot hurt to let you know my experience.

Hope everything gets back to normal soon.

Kay

Smile Re: squirmy eater?

I found my LO doing this too and what has really helped is patting his back to distract him whilst feeding, it really works for some reason, but yeah it could also be gas, and sometimes if they have to wait for the milk this causes this reaction to with mine. :-)

My LO does the same thing. I find if I put my hand behind his head to keep him still he just fights harder, lol - but if I start to sing he stops moving and looks at me So what I've been doing is singing/talking to him to keep his attention. It doesn't work all of the time, but it does work most of the time.

I think at this age they are learning that they CAN move around They are getting better neck/head control and able to focus on things across the room now. My LO sometimes twists around to watch someone walk across the room - ouch!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Glad to see all the feedback to this. I'm having the same problem. Little guy is really really curious!! I'll have to try that steady motion on the back. I think they must get bored now that they have nursing mastered. He was really fixated on my pink shirt today though.

My LO thrashes for a few reasons: she has gas or needs to burp, she is trying to poop and is nursing for comfort, the flow has slowed down and it upsets her.

I try most of the tricks from the pp - holding her head, rubbing her head or massaging her back, arms, and legs, detaching and relatching her. Sometimes it works, other times we just both go through the feeding frustrated.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008