Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood donation

Default Blood donation

Does anyone have any info on donating blood while breastfeeding? My dd is 20 months old.

Default Re: Blood donation

The only thing I found on the RedCross website is that pregnant women are not allowed to give blood, but after 6 weeks postpartum, you can. The heading on the section of info was "pregnant and nursing" - but there was no specific mention of restrictions on lactating women.

Good question.... I've been wondering myself if/when I can go back to being a donor!
    -linda

My mom is an RN and she said that you just need to be very careful not to get dehydrated if you donate.

Here's what LLL has to say...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/blood.html

I've been doing some searching around, and it seems ok as long as you re-hidrate yourself real good! I did a donation to a friends son when DD was about 11 months old, it was an emergency, and I was a match, and we are still going just fine. I am going to go ahead and make my donation, I will let you know tomorrow how things went.

My son was hospitalized at 7 weeks with a mysterious virus that resulted in liver failure (he's totally fine now) and received a lot of blood products during the three weeks he was in the hospital... many of which probably helped save his life. I promised myself that I would be a regular blood donor as a result.

I donate blood every 56 days like clockwork and have never had any problems. I just make sure that I drink a couple of extra glasses of water and eat something... but they recommend that everyone does that regardless.

Minkerpinker - kudos to you. So many lives are saved because of people like you who DO donate regularly. I've been remiss in getting back to it (was a 'regular' before pregnancy); thank you to everyone on this thread for the reminder!!
    -linda

Our blood bank here suggested waiting till the baby was 6 months old, then just being really careful about staying hydrated.

Thank you for the reminder that giving blood DOES save lives!

heres another one...

Just wanted to let everyone know that it went fine! Sorry it took so long to get back to this! I donated again on Friday, and everything seems fine! Both times they were not sure if I would be able to because of breastfeeding and having been on my period, (theyassumed that my iron would be too low), but now the case. In fact they said my Iron was VERY HIGH. Higher then most women who are not nursing or on their period. So what ever that means, it must be a good thing...

I had been trying to donate since my 6w pp check up, but my iron failed to be high enough. It was still within normal range, just not high enough to donate. I just tried again 2 weeks ago. Finally, it was high enough for me to donate! DD is 15 months. I plan on going in often as I was an avid donor prior to becoming pg. I had no adverse effects from donating.