Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: birthday cake alternative

Default Re: birthday cake alternative

I am such a mean mama, I made icing from potato flakes mixed with prunes. My lo had not had any dairy or sugar and I didn't want problems. I made a wacky cake for underneath, its got sugar but mostly flour, oil, vinegar and salt and I had no intention of letting her get to the cake. The icing looked like chocolate cause of the prunes and she put her face right in it, it was a great photo and no worries for us!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

My DD's 1st Bday is 5 days after original poster's....very interested in checking out these recipes
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Amazing Black Bean Brownie Recipe
    For those of you who have a hard time tracking down agave nectar (which is becoming much more readily available) substitute honey 1:1 for the agave nectar. Ania's head notes encourage you to keep these brownies in the refrigerator, they will slice much better if refrigerated several hours or preferably overnight. I used instant coffee this time around, but you can find natural coffee substitute at many natural food stores.

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup unsalted butter
    2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well (hs: canned is fine)
    1 cup walnuts, chopped
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    ¼ cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
    ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    4 large eggs
    1½ cups light agave nectar

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan (hs note: or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.

Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.

Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)

Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.

Reprinted with permission from Baking With Agave Nectar: Over 100 Recipes Using Nature’s Ultimate Sweetener by Ania Catalano. (Ten Speed Press 2008)

Thank you all for the great suggestions... the sweetest thing she has had so far is a little bit of juice, so I really appreciate these recipies. I'm sure she'd probably be happy with just milk, but we want her to have the party experience

And I think I might try a few of them as, ahem, experiments for myself (I am a cake-aholic) before Brooke's party. Can't wait!
    First time mama to Brooke Elizabeth 6.22.07

Quote Originally Posted by abaker89 View Post
    I am such a mean mama, I made icing from potato flakes mixed with prunes. My lo had not had any dairy or sugar and I didn't want problems. I made a wacky cake for underneath, its got sugar but mostly flour, oil, vinegar and salt and I had no intention of letting her get to the cake. The icing looked like chocolate cause of the prunes and she put her face right in it, it was a great photo and no worries for us!
    Hey, that is a great idea for chocolate-free frosting!! I've always thought prunes looked like chocolate

Personally, I think when DD has her first birthday, I'm going to make my own cake and just find recipes that are low in sugar but I'm not going to stress too much about it b/c it's just one day and really I know her grandmothers will just LOVE to watch her dig in. I doubt she'll actually eat that much of it, though I have no doubt she'll make a huge mess.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I'll go ahead and post the sugar free recipe as soon as I find it ...My mil is coming tomorrow so I'm trying to get the house ready .
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Try agave nectar. I am diabetic and use it instead of sugar. It doesnt affect your glycemic levels and it's all natural. It's kinda like honey in a way. It's from the agave plant.....also, it's sweeter than sugar so you use less of it. Just alter the wet/dry ingredients whn baking.
    I love it...my family uses this for our sweetener.