Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: birthday cake alternative

Question birthday cake alternative

My DD is going to turn 1 next month (can't believe it!) and I was wondering if someone could share an alternative to the 1st birthday "smash" cake. I know our families will expect us to have this for her, but I'm concerned about the sugar. We barely let her have juice for crying out loud... let alone cake with frosting!!! Thanks
    First time mama to Brooke Elizabeth 6.22.07

Default Re: birthday cake alternative

If you can make the cake yourself, you can find a recipe that calls for not a lot of sugar. You could also use whipped cream instead of frosting and add as much sugar as you'd like (assuming your LO can have dairy). FWIW if your LO is not used to having sugary foods, she may just take a bite or two and decide it's too sweet. That does happen GL! I think someone recently posted a recipe for a healthier carrot cake. HTH!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

We used shortcake with whipped cream & she wanted nothing to do with it. In fact, she kept feeding it to me.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

check out http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipFirstBDay.htm for a few good recipes.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

what about bannana cake with out frosting....

You could try some vegan recipes that also use alternatives to sugar. Or better yet, see if there are vegan bakeries in your area.

Here's a thread I started about the cake I made for DD's birthday. It has less sugar than most, and everyone else thought it tasted good too. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

I used an applesauce muffin recipe. I tried it out ahead of time and dd loved it. So I used a little 5" cake pan for the batter. It was a little dented in the middle, so I turned it upside down on the cardboard cake circle thing and you couldn't tell at all. I frosted it with cool whip and used a plastic bag and cake decorating tip to make cute edges (cool whip also) on the top and bottom of the cake. It turned out really good and some people said it looked like it came from the store. DD took a few bites, but didn't eat a lot of it. I can't remember where exactly I got the recipe from (if I find it I will post) but I did an internet search on healthy cake recipe or low sugar or something like that (maybe it was dairy free?). Anyway- good luck. Lots of options out there.

I have a terrific carrot cake recipe using no sugar, it is sweetened with pineapple juice and applesauce...the frosting is cream cheese mixed with a can of crushed pineapple. Every time I serve it no one knows it is sugar free until I tell them. Pm me if you want the recipe. I would post it but it has been "misplaced" in an attempt to keep my kids out of my cookbooks.

I'm also a really big fan of doing individual cupcakes for the first birthday party. You can lay them out in the shape of a number one or write a letter on each one spelling out Happy Birthday. That way your lo will get a small serving.

If your lo is like mine they really won't eat that much cake and icing if they aren't already used to sweets.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Very thoughtful to make a healthy cake for the 1st birthday!!!

My DS is turning one next Friday and we're going under the assumption he won't eat too much of the cake and icing anyways. I just want to see him with the cake all over his face!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09