Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: do any of you work in a law enforcment?

Default do any of you work in a law enforcment?

do any of you work in a male dominated job? i work at a prison and have to have my pump bag searched every day when i get to work, i haven't started back yet but will on aug 3. worried about the experience.

Default Re: do any of you work in a law enforcment?

I'm not in law-enforcement but I'd say that my job in academia is still somewhat male dominated....

I sympathize with your apprehension about going back to work and with the invasion of having your pump bag searched every day. But I'd be willing to bet that after the first few times of it feeling embarrassing and like a violation of your personal/baby space, you'll do OK with it. Maybe I'm wrong, so please don't take offense at this, but I've found SOOO many things I would have shuddered with embarassment about before becoming a mom have gone by the wayside and just become "yeah; that's just how it is". It's a matter of getting used to it all and of accepting and being comfortable with your rights as a mom and the need - physical and emotional - that you have to pump milk for your LO.

I wish you lots of strength and peace of mind......you can do this!
    -linda

I actually am in Law Enforcement. I do not work at a jail per say but I have to go to them A LOT for my job. I understand what you are saying about them going through all of your stuff, it happens to me when I go. Mind you, I havnt been there with a breast pump. However in your particular situation, I do know that even though it seems like an invasion, it is only for the safety of the employees there and the inmates. As I am sure you well know people do (employees also) bring in the craziest stuff that these inmates get ahold of and all hell brakes loose. I remember being in intake and one inmate shanked another with some object that no can figure out how it got there! Crazy stuff. And you know that happens all the time. Just keep steralized stuff in a clear plastic bag that they can see in and so they dont touch it and just think its for everyones own good there.

I am not in law enforcement, but I have a kind of funny story to share about men and pumping at work.

In March I moved into a lovely new office. It is larger than the offices around it, in part because it contains a door to the maintenance area for the building's air system. That pathway always has to be clear. There is another entrance to this area and either one (the one in my office or the one in the other office) can be used as an entrance or exit.

The maintenance guys came to introduce themselves and explain this arrangement when I first moved in. I said I didn't mind them passing through one bit but asked if they could knock first. They looked at me like I was from Mars. I took a deep breath and explained that I am a nursing mom and that I pump several times a day. For all of our sakes, it is better if they knock. They agreed to knock but haven't really been through since.

One day I figured out why. I was sitting at my desk and I hear voices on the other side of the door reading a sign: "Construction in Progress. Do Not Use This Door."

I guess I am constructing DS's lunch!

Trisha! Too funny!

Another 'construction' story... my group moved to a new building while I was in labor with DS...the building has had lots of issues and needs for fine-tuning, so there have been crews around on and off for the whole last 16 months. A couple of months ago, there were guys working in the ducts that run above my office area and all the surrounding offices. I could hear them above my office and it was time for me to pump. As I was setting up, I basically looked up at the vent above my desk area, waved, said, "OK; not a good time for peeping into my office, please" and went on my way (admittedly, with a jacket draped over my front). There was a bit of scrambling above my head and I heard the guys come out of the ceiling (!) and go for a 15 minute break!!

The joys of being a pumping mamma!
    -linda

I agree with the person who said to put your stuff in clear plastic bags, so they can see it, but don't necessarily have to touch it. Many mothers reach a point with their pump that it's just another piece of equipment, much like the pens in the briefcase, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. You may have to explain it the first few times, or to new people, but eventually, it will be just one more thing that one more person carries in every day.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I am not law enforcement but still male dominated, military. Simply put there is nothing to be embarrased about. When an MA (military police) searched my bad he asked what the sheilds were. He didnt beleive me so I gave him a demonstration, with my clothes on of course. He turned beat read and never questioned my black bag again. I am open and educational about things though. I usually give people way more information but with the military alwasy moving people around who knows if that person may end up with a breastfeeding mother on their staff one day and they can say, oh yeah I have a basic idea of your needs. And I find the curious men are usually wierded out when they see a peak of the nipple being stretched out in the breast sheild Be proud of what you are doing for your kid!