Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: constant nursing, when will it end?

Default Re: constant nursing, when will it end?

My LO loves to suck as well. We introduced a paci really early because of it. If your LO doesn't like the paci, have you tride using your finger? Just place your finger nail side down in his mouth and maybe he will "latch" on. Or you could try to encourage him to find his thumb, fingers, fist, etc. Good luck mama
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

its probaby a combination of a growth spurt and comfort nursing. my LO is 6 weeks old and nursing a lot right now too. usually shell take her binky but not this week! can u try reading a good book, getting online, watching a movie/show, talking to a friend/family member while nursing? these are some things i do to keep my mind off of how long my LO is nursing. something else you may want to try/look into ia a sling....some can hold baby while bfing. check out the "baby wearing" forum. another idea is the lying down nursing position so u can get more rest/sleep. this position didnt work for me but most moms swear by it.

HTH & GL! youre doing great and this too shall pass...

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

It completely normal to be strapped to the couch for 10 hours a day at this age. You should expect it and plan for it so it doesn't frustrate you. Bring a book, the remotes the phones and some snacks and expect the couch to be your "hub". You CAN multi task with nursing baby at this age, but at some point that wont' be true. So utilize this time to call the companies that like to leave you on hold for a half hour that you usually don't have time for. Catch up on TV or watch all the DVD's you've been meaning to see. It does get better and it will. Sometime in the next 6weeks. But for now, really the most important job you have is to feed the baby. Everything else really can wait. It's such short period of time in their life and you are working on establishing your supply so it's crucial at this point to just sit there and flip and flip and flip. I managed to to get my son's birth announcements with pictures all cut up and addressed and stamped one day while sitting on the couch. And every once in a while a I could push him off my lap and leave him in a little bundle in the boppy to go to the bathroom and heat up some food.
    And it's totally normal for a six week old not to play. They can't even really see very far yet at this age. Everything is normal. You are doing fine. Stay focused. Light at the end of the tunnel coming soon.

Way too lazy for formula

lots of good advice above! have you tried wearing him in a sling or wrap? you could get up and move around and he would enjoy the closeness and movment. of course though, you will still be spending lots of time nursing!!!

I empathize; I'm going thru this too. My 5 wk old nurses almost constantly around the clock; makes me doubt my milk supply. My pediatrician is pushing more bottles (he's a preemie so I had to top-off nursing from the start) but my OB supports stopping supplementation and watching his weight gain. I'm patient but my near 3 y.o. is not so this is a very challenging situation. There is no going to bed during growth spurts when there's a toddler in the house. Number two son still gets one supplemental bottle at night but I'm hoping to drop this one sometime soon.

Nursed my first for 14 months so I agree: the first 6 weeks are the hardest and there is something magical about turning 3 months where everything gets a whole lot easier.

I have found a lot of comfort & tummy time can be achieved by lying down with babe on your chest tummy down as kangaroo care or even clothed. Babe gets to practice some head control or just get some comfort while mom gets a cuddle; great for daddy's too.

Love this forum...you moms are great!

I had exactly the same experience with my little one in the early weeks and know how you are feeling and it will get better!!!! My little one was feeding every half an hour and I felt like I was stuck permanently on the settee and couldn't go anywhere and was considering giving up breastfeeding. He is now 11 weeks old and this stage has passed he is now feeding every 3 hours and sleeps for 8 hours straight during the night so there is light at the end of the tunnel and I'm so glad that I persevered with breast feeding. He has now found his hands so finds this a great comfort and will take a dummy as well. When he was just latching on for comfort rather than being hungry I tried distracting him by taking him for a walk in the pram or out in the car and this helped him to go a bit longer between feeds sometimes. I just wanted to say that you are doing a great job and to hang in there.

Smile Re: constant nursing, when will it end?

Try a little bit of distraction for an hour here and there, it worked for me this week as i was having the same problem.

Do check his weight gain if you haven't already, just in case the constant nursing and seeming dissatisfaction are due to him not getting enough.

This was the case with mine--truly hope it's not true for you.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Rosch View Post
    Do check his weight gain if you haven't already, just in case the constant nursing and seeming dissatisfaction are due to him not getting enough.

This was the case with mine--truly hope it's not true for you.

Good luck, and hang in there!
    I know the OP is a bit old now, but just wanted to respond to this. A lot of new moms seem to be really surprised at how frequently their little ones root around and want to eat at this stage. They assume their babies aren't getting enough to eat, when really it is quite normal for babies to want to be attached (literally) to their mothers most of the time. I just don't want this to scare a new mom Of course moms should always be counting diapers and getting regular weight checks. That's the only way to really know if baby is getting enough. A newborn rootitng around a few minutes after eating is not a sign that they aren't being well nourished. Just wanted to put that out there for new mommies

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09