Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant nursing, when will it end?

Default constant nursing, when will it end?

so my son is 6 weeks old and since last friday, so ten days. has been nursing constantly. he'll nurse for a half an hour on one side, usually till he falls asleep. then ill move him and within 5 minutes he'll be sticking his tongue out. so ill put him on the other breast where he will aslo nurse for 30 minutes, move him and within 5 minutes, you get the idea. this will go on for hours on end. then sometimes he'll sleep for between 1-4 hours. there is maybe 30 minutes a dayy where he is awake and not making his hungry face. today we got in about 1 minute of tummy time. there isnt any playing going on. is this normal? will it end? i know most people will say growth spurt and that was last week where he nursed constanly for 3 hour blocks and even woke up every hour and a half at night. he is making plently of wet and dirty diapers...

Default Re: constant nursing, when will it end?

maybe he just likes to suck, have you tried a passy, is he fussy when he is making faces or just making sucking faces?? some babies just love to suck, maybe try a passy, hopefully other ppl will have other suggestions, hth
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

he wont take a pacifier. sometimes he will just make faces and i can distract him for a few minutes with a rattle or other things. sometimes he does get fussy...

If he's just sticking his tongue out and making faces but not fussy and crying, he might be able to hold a little longer. He might be using you as a pacifier without being really hungry. When it happens to mine, I hold her, walk with her and talk to her. Sometimes she goes back to sleep, and sometimes it doesn't work and I need to feed her...But little by little, I managed to spaced up the feedings (her weight gain is really good so doc said I could try and make her wait more)
    At 6 weeks old, it's normal that your baby is not playing and doesn't like tummy time. It will come later. At that stage observing and listening is pretty much all they can do when awake!
    Good luck and don't forget that at this age, nothing never last very long and it's just a succession of different phases.

I am going the same thing right now and my daughter is 3 wks old. I am getting very little sleep also. She seems like she is not getting a good sleep like she was before. She catnaps 30 minutes here and there and nurses inbetween or gets fussy. Good Luck

Gosh, at that age, anything goes . When he sticks his tongue out, is he fussing? Can you get your finger or his hand in his mouth to comfort? Are you comfortable with comfort nursing (I actually really enjoy it). It does get better, and at 6 weeks, they really don't do much besides eat, sleep, poop and coo a little bit. If you have chores to do, can you put him in a carrier and putz around doing them in between nursing, as a distraction?

As for sleep, I consider myself an unsuccessful expert, in that I have read all the books and my kids still don't sleep . What I HAVE learned is that sleep is important for everyone but hard to come by, and never think you have it figured out, kwim?

You are doing a great job, Mama! Keep it up!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Just hang on ..it gets better in time - promise My LO wouldn't take a pacifier but she eventually found her thumb! I realized she did just want to suck a lot all along! In other words, I went through the same thing that you are going thru now!!
    I won't let the thumb last forever - I am confident that mine will grow out of it. Just like your LO will grow out of the stage they are in

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Gosh, at that age, anything goes . When he sticks his tongue out, is he fussing? Can you get your finger or his hand in his mouth to comfort? Are you comfortable with comfort nursing (I actually really enjoy it). It does get better, and at 6 weeks, they really don't do much besides eat, sleep, poop and coo a little bit. If you have chores to do, can you put him in a carrier and putz around doing them in between nursing, as a distraction?

This too.. Excellent advice from an obviously expierenced Mother

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post

As for sleep, I consider myself an unsuccessful expert, in that I have read all the books and my kids still don't sleep . What I HAVE learned is that sleep is important for everyone but hard to come by, and never think you have it figured out, kwim?

i dont mind comfort nursing for the most part. but i think somewhere along the line he hasnt been latching on very good to one of my nipples and so now it is really sore. and i just get antsy on the couch and after being on it for 10 plus hours a day it begins to get hard to get comfortable. thanks for the advice everyone!

Six weeks is a prime time for a growth spurt, too. It may pass next week!

Keep up the great work, mama!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous