Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby cries and refuses to continue feeding

Default Baby cries and refuses to continue feeding

Hi,
    For the last week my 10 week old son will come to the breast and will feed for a maximum of 6 minutes before pulling off and starting crying. Once he has started to cry he is inconsolable and refuses to continue feeding even though he is obviously hungry. Generally I will have to change his environment and wait at least 30 minutes before he will feed again. I definitely have lots of milk left as when I squeeze my nipple it flies across the room.

I am not sure if this is relevant but on Friday night, saturday morning and sunday morning his nappies were full of green mucussy poo. He hasn't poo'd in the last 24 hours.
    Any advice would be appreciated as my family think I should stop breastfeeding and give Thomas the bottle as they think I am being selfish and uncaring by putting him through so much distress.
    Sarah
    Last edited by haras21uk; May 12th, 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: Baby cries and refuses to continue feeding

sometimes babies just cry and there isn't mcuh you can do to help.

What are babies wet dipars like?

this link might help you figure out whats going on

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

some babies that age might be done with nursing 6 mins they get very good at it the older they get.

is he gassy? would burping him a few times during the feeding help?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

He definitely hasn't had enough milk as he is making all of the gestures of hunger (hands to the mouth, sucking my finger and spitting it out as soon as he realises that there is no milk etc etc) and will nurse again as soon as he is calmed down.
    The only time that he does not cry with a feed is during the night.
    He doesn't have a cold or thrush.
    I don't have a low milk supply as I can express 80 -100 ml after one of his episodes.
    Sometimes the milk will come out of his nose when feeding, but he will also cry when it doesn't come out of his nose.
    His nappies are very wet in each feed and generally he will pass clear urine if I leave his nappy off for 4 mins.
    I have tried nursing him in a vertical position and this doesn't seem to help.
    Sometimes he chokes when feeding, but this doesn't always happen.

In his last feed he definitely was not gassy but still came off the breast screaming. If I try to take him off the breast to wind him he gets aggitated and tries to get back on so I am unable to wind him.

I'm sorry, maybe you said in your post and I missed it. But, often does he go between feeds? You said this just started recently, correct? It kinda sounds like he is getting too much foremilk to me. When he is nursing in those 6 minutes, does he start to choke and gag? If so, you might want to sit in a recliner and kind of recline back some when you feed him. Your milk may be coming out too quickly for him which is also causing him to gulp and swallow a lot of air. This will cause gas, which is painful as we know. I would also agree with trying to burp him mid-way through the feed. Does he burp well? How many wets is he having? Do you hear him swallowing?

does he had lots of gas?
    or spitting up? Vomiting?

He was going 3 - 4 hours between a feed. Now during the day he will generally go two hours between a feed, but sometimes as little as one hour.
    Sometimes he will choke when feeding, but this does not always occur.
    He burps really well and generally will burp 1-3 times each feed within a few minutes of trying. HE also passes a lot of 'bottom burps'.
    He rarely spits up or vomits but 70% of the time the milk does flow out of his nose whilst feeding.
    I will hear him gulp if I feed him in a vertical position and very occassionally if he is in the cradle posistion

I don't know much about "block feeding," but you might want to look into that in the "Oversupply section" on this forum. With the green mucousy stools, it sounds to me like he is getting too much of the foremilk and swallowing a lot of air which is giving him tummy troubles. Have you tried expressing some milk prior to latching him on? This way it would help him get to the hindmilk which will satisfy his hunger. Have you recently introduced the bottle, by chance? That could also be the issue. The milk/formula comes out much easier from a bottle than the breast. The baby can then get "lazy" and upset when the milk does not flow as easily from the breast. This is called nipple confusion or nipple preference. If this is not the case either, I wonder if he is getting the milk transfer. I don't want to tell you to do breast compressions if he is already getting too much milk?!

I haven't tried expressing milk prior to latch on. I do express milk every day at nighttime and have done since his birth as he did have feeding problems when he was first born and was therefore advised to supplement each feed with expressed milk from the bottle. I have noticed that the flow on the breast is quite forceful with 6 to 8 jets spraying for the vasty majority of the time. If I express prior to a feed how do I know how long to express for?