Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tugging, pulling, pushing, ouch!

Default tugging, pulling, pushing, ouch!

Help please!
    My 5 month old DD is nursing fine, in terms of amounts, but she is hurting me!!! She pulls on my nipple, sucking very hard, and then pushes with her fist back against it, until it pulls out VERY PAINFULLY I try to hold her hands, but she is very forceful. She also tilts her head way back, again pulling on the nipple while sucking hard, and when I try to guide her head back to me, she pushes harder. Sometimes I try to see if she is done at that point, but she will then still nurse for a long time, and is very hungry. She also turns her head to the side often, as if she's trying to look behind her, but she takes my nipple with her along the way!!! She is clearly distracted at times, and I try to make sure she nurses in quiet/private (easier said than done with the 3 year old), but it's happening more and more frequently. I'm afraid my nipples will never be the same.

Default Re: tugging, pulling, pushing, ouch!

How is your supply? My LO did the same thing at 3 months, believe it or not. Turned out my supply was low. Wet diapers good? How often is she nursing?
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Interesting you should ask, as we have had some family stress lately...and I was thinking I was producing less when pumping. I will try to increase feeds/pump times and see what happens. Thanks so much for the tip!

Laura

I forgot to answer the questions:
    wet diapers are fine, but she has been demanding feeding more frequently today. I think you're right. Thanks again!

I find I have the same issue...seems to be when my breasts aren't full at times throughout the day.

have you tried different nursing positions? drinking plenty of water? eating oatmeal? sometimes my LO will thrash around if she wants to switch positions or needs to burp/toot.

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

I'm having the same problems, is it the 5 month torture test or what! i'm wondering about a decreased supply, b/c she has been sleeping through the night with only one night time feeding (10-3 then 3:30-7). i try nursing her more during the day, but she spits most of it up or just refusses... she has just been really distractable too it is the last challenge b4 the 6 month goal (im hoping to blow way past that one )

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

My DD always does stuff like that when her gums are sore from teething. I pop her off and rub her gums for a while and she will calm down for me. (Although now that she has 4 teeth I practically tear her off and rub the teeth marks out of my nipple! )
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

I do think it's teething too. My DS got his first teeth at 5 1/2 months, and DD has all the signs. My supply is back up now, and she seems better at least most of the time. She's doing a little solids too, so I think it's common that she's preparing a big poop around feeding time. I am staying very hydrated, but haven't tried eating oatmeal yet...haven't heard about that one?? I have been trying to reintroduce dairy into my diet slowly, and think she still can't handle it, so that's out. I wonder also if all the pushing is just continued practice from pushing up on her belly to roll over all the time??

Ah well, at least it's improving. Thanks for all the tips!

Before reading your post i posted just about the same thing. My lo is 5 months too and nursing her has gotten to be an ouch fest at times. For some reason she has decided that trying to just suck on mamma's nipple is a good thing to try. Between that and her pulling my nipple...as if im gumbo...i hope this is just a phase...for us both!!