Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "snacking" every 45 min! what??

Default "snacking" every 45 min! what??

for the past 10 hours my ds has been wanting the breast about every 30-60 minutes, but only stays on for 5-7 min each time. He refuses the breast after that. Earlier I thought maybe he was just more efficient today and was emptying the breast faster and was perhaps going through a growth spurt or was extra hungry for some reason. BUT - the last 3 feedings I've squeezed my breast after he finishes and milk squirts across the room - so it's definitely not empty. Should I try to make him wait longer? Or will this correct itself? (Normally he feeds about every 2 - 2 1/2 hours and stays on for about 15 minutes, completely emptying one breast per feeding.)

I can't get anything done. He likes to be cuddled and because he is eating so often he isn't getting any long stretches of sleep - so I've just been keeping him in my arms (right now he happens to be sleeping across my lap, lol) - I need a shower and I would love something to eat
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: "snacking" every 45 min! what??

He's 6 weeks? could be a miriad of things but My $ is on growth spurt. It will resolve eventually

Do you have a sling???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: "snacking" every 45 min! what??

he'll be 8 weeks on Thursday. Yes, I do have a sling but I haven't mastered nursing in it yet, lol
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet