Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's your opinion? Breast milk and solid food for 9 month old and teething delays.

Smile What's your opinion? Breast milk and solid food for 9 month old and teething delays.

Friends-

I am trying to adjust to my daughter being in a childcare center (she used to be with an in-home provider.) It seems to me that the childcare center isn't giving her as much breast milk as my previous in-home provider needed. At the in-home place my daughter would drink about 12 oz from 8:30-4:30...but the day care center seems to average between 5-8 oz in that same time frame. (Keep in mind that I nurse my daughter in the early am and in the evening.) So what I'm thinking is happening is that my daughter is eating too much jarred food and not wanting the breastmilk.

I have searched the web and I'm getting varying information on how much breast milk and how much jarred baby food my 9 month old should be eating.

What is your opinion/experiences? I want to make sure she's getting the proper nutrition.

Also...I realize that the timing for babies to teethe is hereditary...but I find it odd that my daughter is 8 1/2 months old and still no teeth. Does anyone else have a child that age with no teeth?

Thanks in advance for your response. You are all WONDERFUL!

Nicole
    Mother to Isabella - born 8/30/07

Default Re: What's your opinion? Breast milk and solid food for 9 month old and teething del

my last two were about 9-12 months before they got any teeth.
    Sounds ok to mel
    how much jar food are you sending?

Default Re: What's your opinion? Breast milk and solid food for 9 month old and teething del

To answer your question about how much jarred food:

Here's her menu as I know it from home-

{**nurse her around 6/7am**}

Breakfast:
    8am: 1/2 jar (stage 2 size) fruit mixed w/ oatmeal cereal in the am

Mid-Morning:
    4oz bottle around 9:30/10

Lunch
    -4oz bottle
    1/2 jar veggie/meat baby food (stage 2 size)
    1/2 jar fruit (left over from morning)

Mid Afternoon
    -4 oz bottle

Dinner:
    1/2 jar of veggie/meat baby food (stage 2 size)
    1/2 jar of fruit (stage 2 size)

{**then I nurse her before bed**}

I think my doctor said - 1 jar to 1.5 jars per feeding plus 24 ounces of bm a day...I just can't remember.

No experience here. I've seen some posters who said their lo's didn't have any teeth as late as, I think, 15 months! My son has two teeth but barely got them this month -he's going on 9 months in a few days. I would say that she might not be eating bc of several reasons:

It may be that bc -if there are- more kids then she's more distracted and may start eating more once she adjusts.

I noticed that once my son was done teething and still wouldn't take his bottle from my mil (which he used to so well) that it seemed to coincide with the fact that she had taught him to hold his bottle and let him drink it by himself. I asked her to start holding him, like when he was a small baby, and use his Adiri ultimate nurser bottle (it's really like a boob and they sell it at babies r us now), and make sure to switch "sides" when he stopped eating. Since she started doing this he's actually finished some of his bottles and that hasn't happened in a long time. So depending on how they are feeding her she might miss the comfort of being cuddled while fed. Print this out for them...I love these instructions.

Try sending her baby food in smaller portions, and explain that bm is much more important than solids at this point. From what I've heard, bm has more calories than solids and has more nutritive value until they are one. Emphasize that you would prefer she drink more bm and aren't as concerned with how much she eats in solids...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

ok so your not talking 4-5 jars....
    Does she self feed any?

I think that roberts moms has a point to about holding baby when hes getting the bottle.

Perhaps the new DCP isn't warming the bottles up like your LO is used to? We discovered this by accident when DD was home with DH on vacation and he tried giving her a cold bottle. She only drank about half of it. He then warmed it up and she guzzled down the rest. We've experimented with this a few times and sure enough, she drinks it better/quicker/more if it is warm.

As for amount of foods. My DD is 9mos and while at daycare has 3, 4oz bottles of BM and two meals of solids (both 4oz jars). I have requested that the sitter always offer the bottle first and only offer solids once the bottle is gone. So, DD gets:
    7:30ish: BM
    8:30: 1 jar fruit
    12noon: BM and 1 jar veg
    3:30: BM

Every LO is different with how much solids they eat. BM is still most important.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

GREAT ADVICE HERE-THANK YOU ALL!!!

Just to clear up a few things-

-DCP has to feed her sitting (not let her hold the bottle on her own)
    -I think what may be happening is that they are feeding her too much food and therefore she's not drinking as much bm.
    -As far as self feeding/finger foods: we just started that this weekend and it didn't go so well...we're going to try again in a week.

Lilbirdie: My daughter eats exactly the same amount as your child. Thank you for responding.

I think I need to reinforce with the DCP that she needs to get bm first...then food. It sounds like she's eating too much food and fills up on that and doesn't want the bottle.

I think the important thing is that your DCP is doing what you ask, and following your schedule/menu as you have dictated. I agree that you need to offer BM first, then follow with what solids they want. My DCP has tried (with my permission) spacing out bottle/solids by as much as an hour, e.g., she will give a bottle at 9, then cereal/fruit at 9:45 or 10.

The good thing is that BF kiddos can determine when they are full much better than ff ones, and our ped. always says to let her nurse/eat solids until she's clearly full.

Good luck!

Are you sending jarred food or is it something they have there? I was just thinking, if you find this problem continues, the simple solution would be to send less jarred food.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa