Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Making homemade food I have ?s

Default Making homemade food I have ?s

I am going to cook carrots but need to know which is the best for soft carrots. boil or steam? or bake? i am guessing boiled.

also I want her to feed herself more...well she wants to feed herself. So, if i baked my butternut squash will is stay soft if I diced it up after i cooked it. i also want to know the same with carrots.

thanks it has been a while since i cooked for a baby and well my kids do not like too many veggies.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Making homemade food I have ?s

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that steaming is better than boiling because more of the nutrients stay in the food, rather than leaching into the water.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

the pedi told me that baking is best for nutrients and i did this last night, I took a pile of baby carrots and wrapped them in foil as if i was baking a potato, worked perfectly although they did leak a little so i suggest using a baking sheet....just bake until they give when squeezed a little (like a potato)

HTH
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

It doesn't sound like you will puree but in case you do: remember not to use the water if you boil bc of the nitrates. Steaming is supposed to be best according to wholesomebabyfoods.com. They also say that next to baking it works best to keeps the most nutrients in the food. My little one does okay with veggies but I always mix it with fruits -lately I'm going to start mixing it with yogurt too -maybe this is something she'll like better.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!