Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just had a checkup - discouraged!

Default just had a checkup - discouraged!

hello all, we just had what was supposed to be our 9 month checkup. Our doctor is currently out on medical leave so we had it with the nurse practicioner. We could have seen another doc but we would get in until my dd would be 11 months so we agreed to see the nurse. My issues if that are issues is that I left there very discouraged. One she told me that I shouldn't be nursing as much as I am. I pick her up from dc around 5 pm and she gets dropped off around 7 am. During that time (14 hours) she told me that my lo should only be nursing 2 times and never in the middle of the night. We normally nurse when we get home (I think that is a missing mommy thing) then around 8 to 830 which then she will go to sleep, then usually when I go to bed around 1030 - 11, which is probably because I end up waking her up when I move her. Then she will go back to sleep and will usually wake up to nurse around 5 (when my alarm is about or is going off). I will also nurse her right before we leave or at least try, she usually wants to play. So we nurse about 5 times during that time frame in which 2 of them are just to have mommy time or because she got distrubed when sleeping! Do I need to stop letting this happen? Also She told me I could start introducing cows milk in a sippy for her - I thought that was supposed to be at a year! My LO weighs 20 lbs 13 oz and is 29 1/4". She was also concerned with her weight. Normally she has gained about 4 lbs between ever visit and this time it has only been 2 lbs since last visit she said she should have gained more. Can anybody share their thoughts or experience on this? I want to shrug this off, but I keep thinking about it then I get concerned.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Default Re: just had a checkup - discouraged!

I am no doctor, but that sounds crazy to me (and by the way, your baby weighs more than my 13.5-month-old, if that makes you feel any better, and my pediatrician says he is perfectly healthy). I would think that she's probably giving you information based on formula-feeding, not nursing on demand. It's my belief that babies know when they're hungry, and if she's hungry at 5 am, you're exactly right to feed her. Go with your gut--it sounds like you--and she--are right on track!!

FWIW, my son gained 6 ounces between his 6- and 9-month visits. I was so worried!! The doctor said that he's growing exactly the way he's supposed to be, and that as they get older and become more active it is perfectly normal--and expected--that their weight gain slows. Hang in there!!

It's easier said than done, but ignore the twit. Your LO knows what she needs. Just follow her lead and you'll be fine! (Cow's milk at 9 mos!?! )

Soooo, this lady is concerned that your daughter's not gaining enough weight, but she's telling you to stop breastfeeding as often and give cow's milk? What kind of sense does that make? It sounds like she's being a bit overenthusiastic on her 'advice' if you ask me.

The schedule you described is pretty much the same nursing schedule we've had since Nora was about 9 mos old and she's much smaller than your lo. We've always nursed a lot at night because I work all day- she misses me and she's making up for calories she didn't get all day. I don't think your NP is taking that into consideration.

Has she started walking or being more mobile? That might account for the slowed weight gain, though it might also just be because they naturally slow their gain as they get older.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She sounds like she is doing great! Nursing needs to be done when both of you are comfortable doing it. SOunds like a schedule that was not far off of what my son was doing at that age.

Don't worry about the weight gain. She sounds great. My son gained no weight between 6 months and 12 months. It was due to allergies but no one was worried because he was a healthy size at 6 months. Just as long as she is gaining, all is good.
    Mom to
    Carlie 4/3/08 - bf - Allergic to milk determined by allergy testing. Adding wheat, egg, & soy to my diet.
    Allergen free diet until 6 months. No gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, treenuts, seafood, and fish for mommy as a preventative.
    Birth - 9lbs. 1oz., 20 1/2"
    6 months - 19lbs. 15oz.

Peter 8/31/05 - bf/ebf until 14 months, was allergic to wheat and milk but outgrown these allergies. Eczema brought on by berries.
    and

Yeah bad advice , and the AAP say's no cow's milk till 12 months. Follow your mommy instinct!

Thanks for the support, you have made me feel much better! And yes Lilly has been very mobile. She isn't quite walking on her own successfully yet - she sure tries though. She does walk around everything and will walk w/ anything she can push, if she isn't doing that she is crawling trying to get into everything! Again many thanks, my mind can rest easier now!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Well -we all know why she's just a nurse practitioner! JKG! I wouldn't take her concerns very seriously just because from her suggestions it seems like she isn't bfing friendly or knowledgeable. 1.) I would wait for the milk until you lo is one bc bm is more important than cows milk -and they say a year only if your lo has milk allergies 2.) Bfed babies eat more often that ffed babies b/c a.) it's comforting b.) it's easier on their digestive system so they process it faster 3.) Kellymom.com has charts for breastfed babies and it concludes that they grow slower after they hit six months so it seems perfectly normal that she's gained less at this check up.

The way I've come to see it is that, as many ladies here have pointed out time and time again, is that if your baby is happy, has a good output, and seems to be thriving in your pov (because you, who are with them all the time would know best) then your baby is fine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I'd have to agree, in that the advice given was poor - and if you were my friend in "real" life and came to me with this story I'd suggest you keep doing what you're doing as your babe sounds as if she's right on track - they don't continue the same weight pattern for their whole infancy. AND I'd also suggest you let your regular doc know precicely what this medical "professional" advised you to do.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.