Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ahhh!!! will it get betteh?

Default ahhh!!! will it get betteh?

so my nipple still have a huge (i dont know what to call it) crack. im using breast milk and lanolin. it starts to get bettah and then i feed and it cracks back open. i try to feed on the other side but sometimes hes still hungry and wants the other side. and plus since its on the side that has more milk i dont want to stop feeding him and loose the milk till it gets better. it also keeps opening up cos it sticks to my shirt or bra and opens back up. what can i do to help heal the process?

Default Re: ahhh!!! will it get betteh?

putting bm on your cracked nipples and letting them air dry helps. soothie gels can also comfort your nipples.

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

If your crack is due to a latch issue, the best thing you can do to get it to heal is to fix your latch. Go see your LC and work on it until it's perfect. If your latch seems perfect, and you're still getting nipple trauma, please be assured that time will fix this problem. I had immense bilateral cracks for 4.5 months, and they finally healed when my baby was big enough and strong enough to latch on deeply.

If it's not a latch issue, then the only other thing I can think of that causes cracks is thrush. As far as I know, the only thing that works for thrush-related cracks is getting rid of the thrush.

While you get the source of your crack figured out, I suggest the following self-care steps:
    - Ban the bra. Wear a light, loose shirt that doesn't rub too much against the sore nipple.
    - Rub some expressed breastmilk into the cracked nipple after nursing to condition and moisturize the skin.
    - Mix a pea-sized amount of Bacitracin and 1% Hydrocortisone cream together and apply to the crack to prevent infection and reduce inflammation. MY LC told me I didn't have to wipe the stuff off before nursing, but I always did. (Obviously, talk to your LC/midwife/OB/family doc before taking health advice from someone off the internet! )
    - Before nursing on the sore side, get a shot glass (or other very small container) full of warm water. Lower the cracked nipple into the shot glass and then bring the glass up so that it makes a seal against your skin. Keep your crack immersed in the warm water for about a minute. This will soften the scabs and make latching on less painful.

Hang in there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    - Before nursing on the sore side, get a shot glass (or other very small container) full of warm water. Lower the cracked nipple into the shot glass and then bring the glass up so that it makes a seal against your skin. Keep your crack immersed in the warm water for about a minute. This will soften the scabs and make latching on less painful.
    Wow, that's a really good tip. Now what does she do when her husband says, "You need a what?!!!"

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

this link has some helpfull hints of cracks.

I used a nipple shield for over a month to help heal my crack because it kept reopening. Ask a LC about the nipple shield first though. I don't know if it will affect your supply. It does get better. I'm so glad I stuck with it!!

No new tips here but I def. suggest to keep trying the milk technique. I think the key is to rub it right after a feeding and let it air dry. If it air dries then maybe it wont stick as much. I would also just keep applying lanolin after a feeding so you bra doesn't rub it as much. You can also put a little on before feeding the baby on that side so it doesn't hurt as much. Have you tried expressing/pumping on that side to give it some time to heal? I also agree with the pps, I think you might have a latch problem if it keeps reoccurring and isn't healing quickly. One lc once told me that once they latch on properly, healing begins really quickly -even while you still feed them - and in my case that was very true. If your other side isn't affected it may be just that its awkward for you to feed off of that side -I had a hard time in the beginning feeding him of my left side and it took diff. positions and a lot of unlatching and relatching to get him on perfectly.

Good luck! I wish you fast healing!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!