Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More & More nightfeeding..

Default More & More nightfeeding..

DS (5 months, 2 weeks) stayed asleep all night (from 8pm to 6am) for a couple of months. Then, like magic, the day he turned 4 months old he started waking up once a night to eat. That was fine, I would pull him into bed and nurse him and then fall asleep holding him. No big deal.

This weekend, however, he's started waking up 3-4 times a night. He ate fine during the day, isn't noticeably sick or cranky, he takes his naps and everything great. The night nursing is wearing me out. Saturday morning, he nursed & fell asleep at 8:30, then woke up at 1, 3 and 5 and then wouldn't go back to bed until 9. Sunday, he nursed & fell asleep at 8:30, woke up at 1, 3, 5, and 7. Then this morning, he woke up at 1, 3 and then 5:17.

I am exhausted, and I have no idea why he's suddenly nursing like crazy. The 1 o'clock feeding isn't bad, he'll nurse for maybe 2 minutes and fall asleep. But by 3, he nurses for about 15 minutes and I can't fall back asleep for another half hour.

He doesn't seem overly distracted during his feedings. Oddly, he usually cluster-feeds during the day - sometimes nursing every hour for about 3 hours - and then takes a really long nap or if we're going somewhere, he can go upwards to 4 hours without eating again.

Please , I need sleep.
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

Default Re: More & More nightfeeding..

Did you notice the change when you went back to work? I know when I started back Nora started waking up a lot more frequently at night- more to cuddle with me than to nurse, I think, although nursing was definitely part of it.

Also, it could be a growth spurt, or maybe he's getting a tooth? Nora nurses a lot at night when she's teething. Hopefully it is something that will pass, I know it can be miserable to deal with prolonged sleep deprivation!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't have any advice, buy my dd is working on the exact same schedule! It's exhausting (my hubby thinks that since we're asleep from 10 to 6 I'm getting enough sleep... yeah right! he sleeps straight through, I'm up 4-5 times!!!)
    Anyway just wanted to send you a hug and let you know that I'm there too!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

My son did the same thing...right when I went back to work at 12 weeks. He started out waking once a night...then more and more and more. Now at almost 11 months he is still waking every 1.5 hours...its exausting. I can't believe I've made it this long! We cosleep, so that helps, but I won't lie and say I'm not looking forward to the day when he sleeps in longer stretches...

Sorry, not much help, just a "uh huh! I understand!" kind of post...