Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It is true? HV says.....

Question It is true? HV says.....

Is it true? HV says that if I give my 22 mths old daughter more calcium products she will not want BM so much? This seemed a bit weird and far out to me! (I noticed there was a typical sense of urgency and relief that I wanted advice to wean)
    Last edited by Milkmaid; May 13th, 2008 at 05:09 AM.

Default Re: It is true? HV says.....

Not that I'm aware of.

That wasn't very helpful, was it? Here's a resource on calcium. Maybe it will help a little?
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/calcium.html

My daughter got LOTS of calcium.. cow milk, enriched soy milk, broccoli, cheese, yogurt... These were her favorite foods/drinks. And she liked blackstrap molasses added to cow and soy milk. And she was always game for BM. I can't imagine what I'd do if she wanted it even more than she did! Nursing was her favorite thing to do for the first three years of her life.

And now she can't remember it!

But, if I warmed and sweetened some milk, she WOULD often settle for it if I didn't want to nurse. But I know another kid who'd settle for water if it was in the right kind of sippy cup. And another kid who'd settle for cuddles.

This sounds doubtful to me. Breastfeeding, even if we're only talking about nutrition, is about a whole lot more than calcium.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh323 View Post
    This sounds doubtful to me. Breastfeeding, even if we're only talking about nutrition, is about a whole lot more than calcium.

For a lot of toddlers, nursing is not really about the nutrients. Why else would they nurse way more during teething? Its comfort, love, pain relief, closeness, bonding..........

Calcium just doesn't offer that
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Talking Re: It is true? HV says.....

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    That wasn't very helpful, was it? Here's a resource on calcium. Maybe it will help a little?
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/calcium.html
    Thanks for your link it was certainly an eye-opener! I wonder if the HV knows this? Probably not. It had surprised me how ill-informed she actually was! She kept going on and on about calcium - like the BM didn't really have any! And she even suggested that babies/toddlers only BF for the calcium and that, therefore, offering other calcium rich sources would put them off BM! And, I thought to myself I don't really think babies/toddlers have a sixth sense!

I won't go to see this particular HV again, I shall go to another one. But, I have sort of taken up on a part of her advice about calcium, cos I wasn't really thinking about 'the calcium part of things' in my daughter's diet (I just go with the flow). So I have introduced along with her daily yogurt which she gets anyway; a cup of cow's milk in the afternoon and some cheese with raisins as a snack mid morning just to get her used to eating a bit more dairy and actually drinking cow's milk. Plus as much BM as she likes to her dear heart's content! I do have an intention to start slowly wean my daughter when she's two in July and I thought she might as well get used to the substances, but then again I may change my mind.

Thanks for your replies girls!!! Any more suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by Milkmaid; May 18th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.

I had my first daughter in England, and my second daughter in Sweden. I'm American as well, so I have gotten information from quite a few different sources.
    I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the first HV that I saw in England! She yelled at us for taking turns sleeping with my week old daughter on our chests, half sitting up. She had a terrible cold and it was the only way she could sleep. Her concern was that the baby would get used to co-sleeping and 'never stop'. I must say, she's 5 now and has slept in her own bed consistently for 2 years now.

It doesn't seem wrong to add more calcium!