Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you night-wean and still nurse to sleep?

Default Can you night-wean and still nurse to sleep?

DS is 27 months- still nurses in the AM, after work, before bed and through the night. I'd like to cut down on the night time nursing but nursing to sleep is our reliable standby. He doesn't ALWAYS nurse to sleep ...maybe 60% of the time... but I don't want to confuse him. I'm familiar with the Jay Gordon method and will try it (probably after some allergy testing we have scheduled in a few weeks). In the meantime, I want to hear from some mommies who don't nurse all night but still nurse to sleep. Is it possible?

Default Re: Can you night-wean and still nurse to sleep?

For the last few months up until very recently, my 16 mo. was night-weaned and still nursing to sleep. He just stopped nursing to sleep in the last week. I would lay down with him (he sleeps on a crib mattress on the floor next to our bed) and nurse him to sleep, then would sometimes sleep through the night, but normally would wake in the wee hours of the morning and climb into bed with us. We used the Dr. Jay Gordon method and I would say it is definatly worth trying. Although you may find that after LO is night weaned, they may nurse to sleep less often of their own accord. That is what mine did. The only reason he stopped altogether nursing to sleep though is because of a cold, and I think after several days of only being able to nurse a few sec. he just got fed up with it and got used to falling asleep without nursing.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Yep. It's possible. The older they are, the easier it is to explain to them. I nightweaned my dd sometime in her third year and she still nursed down sometimes. I didn't have to use any particular method, just gentle reminders that in the middle of the night I could rub her back or offer water, but we'd wait until morning to nurse. Good luck!

I night weaned my first at around 14 months and still nursed her to sleep after that.

I am currently on night 4() of night weaning dd2 at nearly 10 mos. and I am still nursing her to sleep and will continue to do so until she self weans.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Very possible. My LO is 12 months and weaned at night 2 months ago on her own but I still nurse her to sleep at 8:30 ish and then she wakes around 5:30 to nurse and back to sleep for a few more hours
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Pretty much the same experience as the PP, except mine did it around 7mos!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

We night weaned at 18 mo. our 'block' of no nursing was from 12a -6a. We nursed to sleep up until about 1 mo ago - now I am trying to wean him from that

So yes it can be done
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We have a block of no nursing and straight sleep from usually 8:30pm (nurses to sleep) until at least 3:30 if not later, and then back to sleep for another 3 hours. Sometimes he goes straight through without but if he gets up it's always around 3:30 and easy to go back down. The nurse to sleep for us is still necessary although I am finding it is a calming thing more than anything. It's part of our routine and I know that at some point we may have to adjust that routine, for now I am letting him determine that.
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Just an update....I have given up on trying to night wean Norah. She is too young and not ready. I am really sleep deprived and have never felt quite so tired, but it's not her fault. I am the one who wanted two so close together.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was coping fine...maybe my period is coming back, but I'm just exhausted all the time.

I will try again after she is 12 months. She's back to full access 24/7 and I'm sure is thrilled that her persistence paid off.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    She's back to full access 24/7 and I'm sure is thrilled that her persistence paid off.
    Avery is the same.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------