Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depo-Provera birth control question

Default Depo-Provera birth control question

Hi there... I have a one month and 3 weeks old little girl and went to my doctor and he asked me about birth control method. I told him that I was afraid to take birth control for fear that my milk supply would decrease. He told me that Depo-Provera is safe but since he is a male and have no hands on experience and OB most of the time just go by the book I wanted to hear from people that have had experience with it. I definitely do not want to take the chance of getting pregnant again any time soon but I don't want to risk having my milk decrease.

Default Re: Depo-Provera birth control question

Here's some information that may prove helpful!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the link, I read all the facts about it and I'm just hoping to hear from some people who have actually used it. I guess each person is different though... what a dilemma

im on the depo shot. heres what it says:

Medroxyprogesterone
    (Provera, Depo-Provera, Cycrin) AAP APROVED pregnancy risk catigory D lactation risk catigory L1
    L4 (if used first 3 days postpartum)

L4- (possibly hazardous)
    D- (positive evidence of risk)

but now i had it the day after i gave birth so now unless im reading it wrong its not safe to breastfeed. im scared!! they knew i was breastfeeding and im not understanding what D means. im having such a bad day! i hope im just misunderstood

The D is the class of pregnancy risk it poses ( for a woman who is pregnant) so that shouldn't pertain to you or your nursling
    According to the recommendations they really shouldn't have given it to you the day after you gave birth but since she seems to be doing well, no need to worry now - but you could always bring it up with her pedi if you've got concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by lesdrunk View Post
    im on the depo shot. heres what it says:

Medroxyprogesterone
    (Provera, Depo-Provera, Cycrin) AAP APROVED pregnancy risk catigory D lactation risk catigory L1
    L4 (if used first 3 days postpartum)

L4- (possibly hazardous)
    D- (positive evidence of risk)

but now i had it the day after i gave birth so now unless im reading it wrong its not safe to breastfeed. im scared!! they knew i was breastfeeding and im not understanding what D means. im having such a bad day! i hope im just misunderstood
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I am on the shot and my supply is fine. Although, my sex drive went to ZERO pretty quickyl!!!!!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by WhatWasIThinking View Post
    I am on the shot and my supply is fine. Although, my sex drive went to ZERO pretty quickyl!!!!!
    Oh no, ZERO sex drive???? I am not that driven already after giving normal delivery and if it makes it worst is a no no ... That is a really good birth control method then it woks by TURNING YOU OFF...

Anybody else had this side effect????

ill agree with zip ssex drive. im burnt out anyway with 2kids and a dog.

Hi,

Many moms find that any hormonal contraceptives, including Depo-Provera, have a negative impact on their milk supplies. Of course, every woman's body is different, but the possibility is there.

You might consider posting in the Fertility forum for more replies.

Tiana

I don't have any experience with the Depo shot but wanted to give you more info on what we do for BC. We do the Sympto-thermo method (NFP). Bascily you take your temp the same time each morning, observe your mucous, and check your cervix (sounds time consuming but it's not). It has been shown in numerous studies (as well as a very recent one) to be 99% effective for preventing pregnancy. My OB/GYN is NFP only and says that most doctors don't tell their patients about it b/c they just don't know about it. He says the info they do get on it is from the birth control pill companies and is skewed to make it look ineefective. He says it is very effective and the safest method out there. He says it isn't taught in medical schools but the modern method is very effective... and there are no hormones so no risk for any side effects. The only thing is you have to abstain during your fertile time (about 1.5-2 weeks) which I honestly haven't had a problem with (my husband actually doesn't either). It has actually made our marraige much strionger. If you want more info the site where I learned it is CCLI.org

Hope this helps!
    Chasity