Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids replacing milk

Default Solids replacing milk

What age is normal for starting to replace some breastmilk with solids? My 8 month old has been eating more baby food at the sitters lately...and I noticed that she is coming home with 5 or so ounces of milk left over. She normally has the last 5 oz when she get's home, but this is causing her to nurse less in the evening. Should I have the sitter cut back on the solids?

Default Re: Solids replacing milk

At 8 mo, yes I would definately cut back on the solids. Solids should not begin to replace breastmilk until at least 11-12 mo.

I agree that you should cut back on the solids. At 8 months, your child still needs as much breastmilk as she will take. I would explain to the sitter how your breastmilk is far superior to any other food she can be eating right now and that she should try to use up all that you give her.

-Lauren

Thanks! I asked the sitter to giver her the bottle before the solids. And she has been coming home with no milk left at all! The bad thing now is keeping up with her! In order to pump enough milk for the next day I have to pump right before I come home to get another couple of ounces. And lately she has been hungry when I get home. I guess I'll move on to the "increasing your supply" forum.