Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is Nipple Confusion?

Default What is Nipple Confusion?

What exactly is nipple confusion and how do you correct it? Or am I dealing with something else? Our situation...

I returned to work about 3 weeks ago, so my son has been getting 2 bottles a day when at home with dad and for the most part I bf him when I am home. But the last week or so, we have been having some problems. It first started with the feedings on my right side and milk squirting out of the corner of his mouth. I tried correcting by turning him more towards me and it seemed to work for a bit. But now he is leaking out of the same corner of his mouth but on both sides. I also notice that his is no longer consistently making the wide (is that a correct description?) sucking movements, but rather short ones that look like he may be using his tounge. Makes me think he is trying to suck just the nipple. He usually does start out with the correct sucking motion for a moment, but then changes. I have tried un-latching and then re-latching, but sometimes he goes back and forth between the two so quickly that I can't do.

I am starting to get a bit frustrated because the both of us end up covered in milk by the end of our feeding sessions these days. How do I get him to latch and suck correctly?

Default Re: What is Nipple Confusion?

how old is the baby?
    some older babies do fine on a cup instead of a bottle.
    good luck

He is almost 4 months old.

sounds like nipple confusion to me. Baby uses diffent techniqes to remove milk from bottle then from the breast.
    there are some alternate feeding methods you can use.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

My baby girl went through a stage of nipple confusion when she was a week old. I was advised by a leader to give as much skin contact with her as possible. Let her latched on whenever she wanted, even if it was just for half a minute, just follow her cue. She would latch on longer and suckle well when she was in a sleepy mood. Meanwhile, I continued to express to maintain the milk supply and fed her using a syringe. We did this for 3 days and we finally made it!

Perservere and give your baby lots of patience and skin contact, and it should work. Good luck!

[QUOTE=Linda Tan]My baby girl went through a stage of nipple confusion when she was a week old. I was advised by a leader to give as much skin contact with her as possible. Let her latched on whenever she wanted, even if it was just for half a minute, just follow her cue. She would latch on longer and suckle well when she was in a sleepy mood. Meanwhile, I continued to express to maintain the milk supply and fed her using a syringe. We did this for 3 days and we finally made it!

Perservere and give your baby lots of patience and skin contact, and it should work. Good luck!