Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF and flying?!?

Default BF and flying?!?

I am about to take my LO on a 2hr flight from TN to Aspen Colorado. I am so excited, but very anxious about the flight. I was wondering what rights I have about BFing on an aircraft-I am trying to be prepared for the unwanted glares, but I want to be sure legally there is nothing stopping me if I need to feed her. She is going to be 7 months and won't take a bottle, so pumping is not an option. I love BFing, just wish some people were more accepting. Breastt is ABSOLUTELY BEST but yet there are those who think it is only best if we are in our home..hmmm...(venting, sorry). Any input would be GREAT!

Default Re: BF and flying?!?

i don't know about the rights part. but we flew in december and nobody looked twice when i was nursing my son. he was about 7 months then too. i think they were more grateful that i could soothe him so easily and quickly than them all having to listen to him for two hours whine and cry. good luck!

Thanks!!! I am really excited about this trip. I am so glad we are taking her. We are going hiking-BFing will be GREAT!! YYYYAAAA!!!

I agree, with a 7 month old you're unlikely to get anyone actively giving you a hard time.

You should be able to get info on the airlines website, but as far as I know (certainly where we live) they actually encourage it particularly during take-off and landing. Feeding during these times can prevent your LO from suffering painful ears-it helps keep them unblocked.

I flew in Jan with my then 7 month old too and nobody said anything. I nursed her on take-off and landing to help with the ear pressure and gave her a bit of Tylenol before leaving. She was fine and nursing was no big deal.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thank you all for your info. I look forward to my trip. I had heard BFing helped with the pressure issue. I will definitly try it

I definitely try to nurse during take-off and landing (it helps pop the baby's ears, for one thing), but the approved take-off/landing position for an in-lap baby is "burping position" (over the shoulder hold), so I'm not sure how you're supposed to nurse from this position? I usually went immediately to nursing as soon as the sealbelt sign went off. We use pacifiers, so I would use a pacifier during actual take-off and landing. Good luck!

I have flown with my daughter 9 times and she is 16 1/2 months old. I have nursed her during every take-off and landing as well as during most of the trip as she would fall asleep while nursing and I certainly wasn't about to move her! I haven't had anyone look at me funny or anything - the only comments I've gotten are from people when the trip is over when they say "she was so well-behaved" or "I didn't even know there was a baby on here!" As far as the appropriate positioning of the baby during take-off and landing, I've only had one flight attendant tell me she needed to be held sitting up in my lap but I just said o.k. and then once she sat down I nursed her. One tip for you though - while nursing her, keep her sitting as upright as possible because that will help with ear pressure. Have a great trip!

~ Jen
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Hmmm..I need to practice this sitting up nursing thing. I am trying to picture how that works. She does take a pacifier, so if there is an issue I can resort to that til they allow me to move her. I am having her ears checked a few days before we leave to be sure she is in good health. I am getting excited about the trip. She is a good baby, so I think other than the possible plane problems, we will be great Thanks for all the advice!!