Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO giving me mixed cues

Question LO giving me mixed cues

DS is 7 months and always wanting our food and drinks. So I started him on 1 tbs of solids once a day. We started on banana/cereal/bm combo. We also tried just bananas, cereal and alvacado by themselves. He seems VERY interested in the food, but when I feed it to him he make a face like it was the bitterest thing in the world. I'm confused....he seems like he wants it, but when I give it to him his facial expression is like he hates it.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Default Re: LO giving me mixed cues

Sounds pretty normal. The texture and taste take some getting used to.

What happens if you try and let baby feed himself? Do you have a mesh feeder? Are you ok with a huge mess?

I don't mind the mess. I've tried to let him feed himself. He will put Everything in his mouth, but only plays with the food. It never goes in the mouth. Last time he wiped his Alvacado hands all over the back of his head.

He doesn't like the mesh feeder. I guess I will just keep trying. Next we will try Sweet Potatoes then squash
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Quote Originally Posted by hollandperformancehorses View Post

I don't mind the mess. I've tried to let him feed himself. He will put Everything in his mouth, but only plays with the food. It never goes in the mouth. Last time he wiped his Alvacado hands all over the back of his head.

He doesn't like the mesh feeder. I guess I will just keep trying. Next we will try Sweet Potatoes then squash
    Speaking from a BLS standpoint here: If he does not put any food in his own mouth that means that he isn't ready for solids. Reaching for our food and drink is not a sign readiness in children. They want everything we have because someone just turned on the whole world. They are just curious about everything. Even if he would actually put food in his own mouth, it would probably all get pushed back out. Putting food in their own mouth is the 1st sign that they are ready to EXPLORE solids. Which is very different and usually months before swallowing solid food.
    Remember, everything the 1st year is just for fun and exploration. Your child will be completely sustained on your breast milk alone. If your child isn't ready, don't stress. Put it away and try again in two weeks.

Way too lazy for formula

I know it can be really confusing It sounds like you are trying to follow your LO's cues, which is the best way to go. When he makes the faces, does he gag and spit it out? DD used to make all these horrible faces and gag and then one day she just started opening her mouth for more. But, she usually makes that face the first time I give her something new. I agree with DJ's Mom that just looking and being interested in your food is not necessarily a sign of readiness, more just a sign of curiosity.

Also, I remember always being worried that she just didn't like the FOOD I was offering her. I was worried that she was ready but I just wasn't feeding her the right food that she would like, therefore, I kept feeding her different things every time I tried. It went cereal, banana, apple, cereal, banana, etc., until the day she wanted more (it was banana) and after that she started liking most everything I tried with her. So my main point is I think it's more that they will just eat when they're ready rather than that you have to feed them that magic food they'll love kwim?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thank you... I will keep watching him. We are keeping this solid thing a "Just for Fun" thing anyways!!!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

I particularly liked soft fruits with vivid colors. That way when the "mashing and mushing around" part of eating happens, it gets colorful.

My DD did the same thing with the face whenever you put anything new in her mouth or when I was initially feeding her. She grew out of it eventually.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by hollandperformancehorses View Post
    DS is 7 months and always wanting our food and drinks. So I started him on 1 tbs of solids once a day. We started on banana/cereal/bm combo. We also tried just bananas, cereal and alvacado by themselves. He seems VERY interested in the food, but when I feed it to him he make a face like it was the bitterest thing in the world. I'm confused....he seems like he wants it, but when I give it to him his facial expression is like he hates it.
    DD is just over 6 months and we started practicing with solids. She makes that face and it is the cutest thing ever.

She likes watermelon and sucks on that for awhile. She will eat tiny pieces of banana and doesnt like avocado much at all. Sometimes it seems she wants to put anything in her mouth except food