Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excessive Leaking and Breast Shields

Default Excessive Leaking and Breast Shields

I am pretty sure I have over active let down since my LO is showing all of the signs that kellymom.com lists.

It isn't severe and I'm trying to keep LO nursing on one side and "spraying out" at let down and then latching. I've noticed though, that it's causing the side I'm not nursing on to leak...and leak A LOT while LO nurses and in between nursing. Like at night, I'll wake up and the bed will be wet along with LO from leaking on her for a few hours.

I am using breast pads to soak it up but they get filled fast. I think I'm going to switch to washables since the disposables are getting expensive. I also read that using breast shields can help to collect the milk. But, won't having the milk sitting there cause issues? I'm going back to work in a few weeks and am concerned with how to control the leaking ... I don't want to be in a meeting and have a sudden wet shirt!

Any help or advice?

+ = Working Mommy to Sophie born 4/1/08 (our little April Fool )

Default Re: Excessive Leaking and Breast Shields

Breast shields are not a terrific idea for milk collection in my opinion. You have all this wet stuff, its dark, there is sugar- you may just be asking for thrush to happen. No one wants thrush. No sane person.

I like the idea of reusable washable cotton. When I had major leak issues I resorted to cutting up maxi pads, but that's not reusable and can get pricey, even though it's cheaper than breast pads.

When you are at work and feel a letdown happening, cross your arms across the nipples and breasts and hug in. The direct pressure will stave off a downpour of milk. Wear dark colors to avoid the spots of milk. And the most important feature... remove milk frequently enough that you are not engorged!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    When you are at work and feel a letdown happening, cross your arms across the nipples and breasts and hug in. The direct pressure will stave off a downpour of milk. Wear dark colors to avoid the spots of milk. And the most important feature... remove milk frequently enough that you are not engorged!!!
    I've used maxi pads in a pinch. Found out the gerber pads are cheap but useless so I buy the Lansinoh ones that cost more!

I do wear darker colors now but darned if you can't tell anyway. When I'm at my regular job, I'll be fine since I can go pump whenever I want. I'm worried about training I have right after going back to work though...only 2 15-minute breaks and a lunch. I might be begging the trainer for another session even if it's only 5-10 minutes. I think I'll be packing an extra shirt that matches anything as a "just in case."

Yeah, thrush is what I was thinking of when I read about breast shields. I haven't had any major problems yet and I don't want to start causing them!

There are lots of time saving tips with pumping. My favorite is storing pumping flange and tubes in a bag for daily washing in a fridge. BM is good for ten days or so in a fridge, so washing after each pumping is not actually necessary unless you have thrush. Check out the Working and Breastfeeding section!This forum is awesome! There are also hands free ways to pump _ special bra or other tricks - so you can eat lunch and pump at the same time!

i have never used the lanisoh brand pads before, but have used the avent ones. they are thick and really hold alot. i have oald too and leak a ton. i use washable hemp pads during the day and the sposie pads at night. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Maybe I'll give the Avent ones a try then. I think I'm going to cut up some cloth diapers and make my own washable pads.

And awesome awesome tip on not having to wash the flange every time if I refrigerate it. I never would have thought of that. I do lurk in that forum too. I read everything!