Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-month-old stopped sleeping "through the night"

Default 4-month-old stopped sleeping "through the night"

About a week ago, Baby up and decided "Hey, happy Mother's day; I don't wanna sleep through the night anymore." After her night feeding, she used to sleep for 5 or 6 hours, but lately she's waking every 1-2 hours to nurse. I'm f'ing exhausted; practically a zombie.

Is this a growth spurt, or is she trying to tell me she's burning way too many calories during the day and it's time to replace her night feeding with some rice cereal or something?

Default Re: 4-month-old stopped sleeping "through the night"

There is a huge 4 month growth spurt. It's temporary. However there are going to be many times when your baby's sleep schedule changes. Here is a small list of reasons:
    1. Teething
    2. Increased need for milk
    3. About to hit a milestone
    4. Change in environment ( visitors, ect)
    5. Sick, or coming down with something
    6. Not tired

He is an article on introducing solids and how to know if your baby is ready. 4 months is way under the suggested age for solids.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

Oh. Teething. She's definately probably doing that, I think. She's very drooly, bites on anything she can get her teensy hands on, paws at her mouth and ears, and really fussy sometimes.

Teething pain is a common reason for sleep changes. Incidentally lying down has been documented to increase teething pain. You may noticed the ear pawing increases in frequency, this is in part because the teething pain is localized in the ear.

The benefits of breastmilk for pain management in the infant:

Oxytocin is present in your milk, it is a hormone that stimulates your Milk Ejection Reflex. In the infant it works as a pain reliever. So the increased demand to nurse ( among other reasons- such as comfort and being close to mama) can be to help with pain.

Have you given any thought to pumping an ounce or so to make yummy mommy-pops with? You can feed the frozen milk in a mesh feeder without much worry of choking. It will help with gum pain or itchiness.

If the pain seems really uncomfy I would call your dr and run by what dosage or tylenol your baby could take. Tylenol worked for us when I really really just needed 3 hours in a row of sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Oxytocin is present in your milk, it is a hormone that stimulates your Milk Ejection Reflex. In the infant it works as a pain reliever!
    Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    If the pain seems really uncomfy I would call your dr and run by what dosage or tylenol your baby could take. Tylenol worked for us when I really really just needed 3 hours in a row of sleep!
    I don't think pain relievers are necessary in most cases. I've only ever taken them when I needed to get rid of a nasty fever. I'm against pain medicine for several reasons, one being practically everyone I've ever met relies on over-the-counter (and prescription) medication entirely too much.

We had this happen too at this age!

http://kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

My daughter started doing this around 3 months when she was learning to roll over ...It went on for about 4 weeks, and then got better...And then got worse again when she was trying to figure out rolling the other way.

One thing that I have found to help is to be sure she's getting in some really good feedings and a as much "mommy" time as possible every day... For a while there she just wanted to be on the floor or in her jumperoo looking at the world and practicing her new skills. So she was taking in maybe 2 good feedings (15 mintues is a "good feeding" for her)...The rest she'd only eat for 2 minutes at a time because she'd pull off and need to look around.
    Now I take her up to our room keep the lights off, turn on the white noise and cuddle with her while she naps and nurses for at least 2 hours every afternoon... I'll also let her nurse for an hour in the morning, granted a lot of it during sleep time is just light comfort sucking...But she does get several let downs even with that. I also have been trying encourage her to take in some extra snacks, even when she's busy. This has REALLY helped the night time wakings... I think part of it was she was missing time with me on the day she was filling up her Mommy needs at night. Some one told me that it's like this from 4-6 months...Between, teething, ALL the new skills they are pulling out they're little brains are too busy for sleep at times.

Just give it time, it will get better (at least thats what I keep telling myself! :0)

My daughter is 1 and just started sleeping through...barely.8:30-5:00am. Doctor said don't feed her when she gets up. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Laryn41 View Post
    My daughter is 1 and just started sleeping through...barely.8:30-5:00am. Doctor said don't feed her when she gets up. Anyone?
    Yes, my doc said the same thing. My DD wakes up and if she makes some noise, not much, I don't go to her. But if she is really crying, I know something is up and it's usually a wet diaper. It happens so rarely that I MIGHT feed her too. Usually though I don't feed her when I hear some crying (it's not that "i'm hungry crying. It's that "I'm half asleep crying.")...

Quote Originally Posted by Laryn41 View Post
    I disagree with that advice. Doctors should be giving medical advice, not parenting advice.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK