Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SNS Question

Default SNS Question

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the board and have been reading up on relactation through various sources (kellymom, etc.). My LO is a little over 3 months old. I BF her for approximately 1 month, then went to FF. I thought I had supply issues (which now I know I could have pushed through and overcame). I gave up for that reason, along with being completely overwhelmed (trying to care for LO, 2.5 year old, and myself after difficult c-section recov.). I keep kicking myself for giving up as easily as I did. Over the past 2 weeks, I have offered my breast to my LO. At first, she eagerly accepted and latched well. However, she now becomes frustrated with it (maybe b/c there is not much milk there...only a few drops).

My question is...have any of you ladies had success with the SNS (Medela or Lact-aid)? I have been doing nipple stimulation and hand expression (can't really afford to rent a decent pump right now), along with taking fenugreek (3 caps, 3x a day) and can squeeze drops.

I am so determined to relactate. Please help
    Julie

Default Re: SNS Question

Hi and ,

There are several ladies on this board who have successfully used the SNS while relactating. I'm sure some of them will share their experiences with you. In the meantime, you could search this forums archives for helpful posts on the subject. You can also check out the sticky at the top of this forum for lots of great information to help get you started.

Do you qualify for WIC? If so, you may be able to rent a pump for free or very cheaply from your local WIC office. A hospital grade pump is usually your best bet for relactation, and it can really speed up the relactation process. As compared to the cost of formula over time, many mothers see it as a good investment.

Again, welcome to the forum, and keep us posted!

Tiana

Default Re: SNS Question

Thanks Tiana

I'm going to keep working on my husband about the pump. Definitely it will pay for itself in the long run (not having to buy formula). I offered my breast to my LO this morning and she latched and suckled for a good 5 minutes. I'll keep offering it to her for comfort throughout the day. I'm trying to stay positive and think happy thoughts about the end result (bm for my lo).

Thanks again,
    Julie