Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids at 4 months??

Default Starting solids at 4 months??

Went into the pediatrician on Friday. DD is exclusivley BF and has gone from 8#9oz to 14#9oz in four months Ped said to start her on iron fortified cereal now because she will need an increase in iron that my BM will not be able to provide? What kind of BS is this

I really want to hold off introducing solids till 6 months. DD shows interest when we are eating (watching us intently, sucking on her hands, reaching for our food) but I still want to hold off. I would just like some feedback that I'm doing the right thing

Thanks!

Default Re: Starting solids at 4 months??

your doctor has probably given you very old advise and he/she should definitely get updated, the current recommendation to start solids is around 6 months and till then your milk is all your baby needs, and that includes easily absorbed iron in breastmilk. Here's more info
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

Even at my 6 month appt, I asked my ped if I needed to be concerned about iron levels, and if I should give iron-fortified cereal, and he said he didn't think it was necessary. And besides, the iron in mommy milk is more bio-available, and more easily absorbed than the iron in iron-fortified cereal.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

we started solids at 4 mo. DD was obviously ready - displaying all the signs. felt it was the right decision for us.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by jmthomas View Post
    Went into the pediatrician on Friday. DD is exclusivley BF and has gone from 8#9oz to 14#9oz in four months Ped said to start her on iron fortified cereal now because she will need an increase in iron that my BM will not be able to provide? What kind of BS is this

I really want to hold off introducing solids till 6 months. DD shows interest when we are eating (watching us intently, sucking on her hands, reaching for our food) but I still want to hold off. I would just like some feedback that I'm doing the right thing

Thanks!
    Follow your instincts. Starting solids at 6 months or later is best I think. I wouldn't worry about iron either- especially at 4 months. Iron stores are supposed to last till at least 6 months- maybe longer. Iron in cereal is not absorbed very well. I only gave my lo iron fortified cereal twice in her life and never an iron suppliment. I had her iron tested at 9 months just to see ( its only a fingerstick not a venous blood draw) and her levels were perfectly fine. Breastmilk is the perfect food!!! I am so tired of peds making mothers worry about stuff!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! You are doing the absolute best thing you can nursing your lo! Keep at it and dont worry about iron for at least a few months!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

heres some info about why you should delay solids.