Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula at the Dr's!

Default Formula at the Dr's!

I just wanted to share my experience at my son's 2 month check up... They gave me a "breastfeeding support package" put out by Enfamil, and it included two sample packages of formula! Can you believe it! A breastfeeing "support" package! What a joke! (I've heard of hospitals doing this, but I had a home birth so I missed it the first time around). It's so stupid, if you ask me...

It's politically incorrect to tell anyone that breasfeeding is better than formula (even though it's been proven a million times over!), but it's quite okay for doctors - of all people - to push formula on those of us who have chosen to breastfeed. Instead of "Oh, I see you've chosen the clearly superior thing for your baby... But here's some formula, just in case" (just in case what, exactly?!)... Why not do the opposite? Be doctors for once (aren't they supposed to advocate healthy things for their patients anyway?) and say instead, "I see you've chosen to formula feed. Take this sample of breast milk, just in case." (Maybe that's what I can do with the TONS of extra milk I have in the freezer! Start passing out samples!)

I'm just tired of our society buying into the formula companies: They're all parading around saying "Breast Is Best, But We're Just As Good"... And doctors are right along side of them, passing formula out to the few of us who can see past the advertising gimicks. Doctors should know better - breastfeeding is clearly better for moms and babies. They don't have to push all the formula moms our way, but for goodness sake don't try to talk those of us who are doing the right thing out of it!

Default Re: Formula at the Dr's!

Nope, its definately NOT okay that you experienced this but its happening everywhere. See here how a Mother of these forums fought back and WON.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=53541

I would suggest sending a similar letter.

Here is a quote from Molly's letter:

The World Health Organization’s International Code on the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes states:

7.4 Samples of infant formula or other products within the scope of this Code, or of equipment or utensils for their preparation or use, should not be provided to health workers except when necessary for the purpose of professional evaluation or research at the institutional level. Health workers should not give samples of infant formula to pregnant women, mothers of infants and young children, or members of their families.
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; May 10th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I know I got a card from Enfamil saying something about handing it in to the pediatrician to get a "free breastfeeding support package." I tossed it. My pedi has never offered formula. I made sure to pick a pedi who breastfed her children so she's actually pretty supportive. I wasn't sure what I'd need "emergency formula" for either.

At the hospital I did get an Enfamil diaper bag. It has a big red label that said it was for breastfeeding mothers. Not a single speck of formula inside. Just lots of coupons and free diapers/cream/etc. And it doesn't say Enfamil on it anywhere so it makes a great backup bag

Great idea on handing out your free samples. For maximum effect, stand in the formula aisle at Walmart and hand out an oz to each person buying a can of formula.

+ = Working Mommy to Sophie born 4/1/08 (our little April Fool )

Or drop them off at a local women and children's shelter. I still think that enabling any of it sort of leaves me feeling weird, but a shelter could probably use it more than anyone else.

When I got home from the hospital, I quickly packed up all the formula samples to avoid any kind of temptation, especially during those difficult early days of nursing. If you don't have formula and bottles in the house, then it helps you focus on breastfeeding. My DH bought a package of pacifiers and I hid it so I could return it to the store. However, I found out that he had located the package a few days later, opened it and tried to give the pacifier to our LO, who quickly rejected it!

I got a milk bag with freezer packs for my breastfeeding support package. I did get some samples of Similac given to me at my OB appointments. My LO continues to be breastfed at 9+ months, but I do use a little of the formula in his cereal now as I don't produce tons of milk.

It is rediculous isn't it? I got one too and I think next time I'll probably just refuse it.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

i actually got two! and the nurse was trying to get me to take another!!! the only thing that i used out of it was the small insulated packs with the ice packs! i have a ton of samples and i still get cupons in the mail for similac and enfamil, i usually give those to parents that i know that use it but im really sick of getting them too!!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

The hospital sent one home with me with DD and DS. I gave DD's to DH to give to a needy mom. I kept DS's because it was such a nice bag and had a great ice pack bag that went with it. I love the bags and use this one all the time. The formula is somewhere in a cabinet, who knows where.

Thankfully my doctor's office has never tried this and I don't think they do it at all with anyone. The staff is so excited that I BF and really wish more would. Yay for pro-BF'ing doctors!
    Last edited by Sherri H.; May 11th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

when i told dd ped that we were bfing and planned on going a yr she gave me just the aap book that came with the formula. to me it was a good sign that she supported bfing. dh on the other hand asked me "why didnt you take it? you never know what could happen" i figure now he is a bit less concerned. we had to buy a separate freezer to store the extra bm ive been pumping "just incase" to ease his mind.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year