Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much sleep not enough milk???

Default Too much sleep not enough milk???

So my son is 9 days old and I have some questions:

So, my son has been a BIG sleeper. He will regularly go 4-6 hours between feedings. I am still feeding around 8 times a day and he is having the normal amounts of wet and poopy diapers.

I feel like I need to wake him to feed him but my mom says never wake a sleeping baby and I know part of growing is getting plenty of sleep....Help, what do you think?

Bfing is going okay....Im still really sore but I guess that is to be expected. I am only feeding one side at each feeding because 1. I am concerned that he get the hind milk at each feeding and 2. he tends to fall asleep and so I work to keep him up to get a good amount of time on the breast. So far I havent had a whole lot of engorgement pain except for the first day, heres hoping.

I hope you have a great mothers day!

Default Re: Too much sleep not enough milk???

Hi welcome to the forum.

By normal amounts of wets and poops do you mean at least 5-6 wets in disposable diapers and around 3 poops?

Have you tried breast compressions at the end of feeding to keep baby awake? Is baby active and alert when awake? Any jaundice or complications?

No, no jaundice at all. He tends to fall asleep on the breast at the end of the feeding. Yes, he has at least 5-6 wet diapers and 6-7 poopy diapers.

Sounds like baby is getting plenty to eat.

Do you have a mommy alarm going off? It is good to respect your feelings that something is not well with your baby. You are the expert in how your baby feels.

From an outside spectator your baby is doing very good for 9 days old. You have normal bowel movement, good hydration. A sleepy baby can be a normal thing. Nursing is very relaxing, and I really can't say that falling asleep on my own mama isn't something I would do too!

Thanks for the feedback. Should I be doing more than 15-20 minutes since he goes so long between feedings? Also, is it bad that I only feed on one side?

I have my 2 week pedi appmt on Tues but just wanted to get some questions answered before then.....

Thanks again.....Just a worried first time mama and wanting to make sure hes getting enough.

Feeding off one side is a standard around here! It does exactly what you mentioned; reaches the hind milk.
    Because you are concerned about your baby's intake, you could try breast compressions to keep baby awake towards the end. As you stay on the breast longer the milk flow slows down. This is part of what allows a baby to fall asleep. It's hard to sleep with milk flowing down your throat! A compression at the end would help you.
    Nursing for 20 minutes sounds fine to me. If you have a good Milk Ejection Reflex, 15 minutes is sufficient. During your let down you are hearing active swallowing and the eyelids may flutter open- correct?

What happens if you offer to bf more often? No response? Too groggy to latch on?

If you offer two breasts during a bf session what happens?

I hear the swallows big time after about 5-7 minutes so I know he is getting the good stuff. I really dont feel let down and always feel full. I will try the compressions, great idea.

Offering more often seems to be a crap shoot sometimes it works and others he just isnt interested. If I see that he has the slightest need or desire to feed I feed him. I was just concerned that he was going almost 6 hours between feedings.....

The only time I have offered two is if he stays awake and seems hungry and that has only happened 2 times other than that I havent tried because he is so sleepy after feeding.

I can understand how you would feel that 6 hours is a long, long time between feedings for a newborn. I actually agree, but am unsure in this case. It would appear that you are able to store a vast quantity of milk, which does happen for some women. This implies that during a feeding your baby is able to really fill up to the point where there is no more room. Typical newborn feeding is between 8-10 times per 24 hour period. Their tummies are pretty small at this point, and frequent feeding really helps keep things moving along.

You are getting a good amounts of wet and dirty diapers. You are feeding 8 times a day which is great. Things seem good.

Because the breast is not see-through there is a certain amount of trust we have to have with our bodies. We must get to the point where we accept that our body is doing what it knows how to do, that our baby will let us know what it needs and that we are capable. You are really doing a super job!

If you still feel concerned you can always closely monitor your baby's output, what goes in must come out. You are meeting the hydration goals- give the compressions a shot to wake up baby. Everything sounds great!

* A compression is pressure that is maintained while baby is sucking and released during sucking pauses.