Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: foremilk/hindmilk imbalance question

Default foremilk/hindmilk imbalance question

Hello Ladies and Happy Mother's Day (tomorrow)!!

I am dealing with an oversupply issue I believe...lots of spit up, frequent nursing, sometimes pulling, tugging and gagging a bit and general fussiness in between feeds. My supply has always been abundant and did have OALD a few weeks back, but it seemed to ease with a new position. Now, after her 3-4 week growth spurt (she is 5 weeks) of eating every hour, things seem to be out of whack again. I do not think it is reflux, but rather a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Output is good, but there seems to be a lot less "seeds" in the last few days.

To test out if this could be the problem, I am going back to the finish the first idea...using one breast for a 3-4 hour stretch, then moving on to the other. I used this before when things were off but then stopped as I thought we were in the clear.

So here's my question...when using this method to correct an oversupply issue, how long do/should you continue? Should I go back to one boob per feeding eventually?

Any help from those who have experienced an imbalance would be wonderful.

Thank you so much!

Default Re: foremilk/hindmilk imbalance question

A four hour block is a good start if it is actually an oversupply issue.

Look this over for normal variations in poop before you get started: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

http://www.lactnews.com/the_diaper_images.html

How many wets in a day? This will help us understand if it is an oversupply issue as well as the type of poop you are having. Generally a foremilk/hindmilk issue will have greener poop. This is due to the higher amounts of lactose in the formilk, which cause the poop to be expelled faster and less digested, and thus greener. This didn't really sound like the case.
    Your poop color is good.

Do you hear gulping? Is there any sputtering, coughing or gasping? Explain in greater detail what you see during and inbetween a feeding.

You can sort of do what you want. I had this issue and I did one breast per feeding or per 2 hour block till probably at least 8 months then I started offering the second breast . Sometimes she takes it and sometimes she doesn't. Your supply will even out somewhat as your lo gets older. Green poops r a classic sign.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I had OS as well and did 6 hour blocks and then switched to 2 feedings per side instead of watching the clock. I continued with the 2 feedings per side for about a week (when the yellow seedy poops came back) and then I switched to one breast per feeding. We are still doing one breast per feeding and will probably continue to do so for months as it is working well for us. I have OALD as well and I find that the letdowns aren't as forceful this way.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    A four hour block is a good start if it is actually an oversupply issue.

Look this over for normal variations in poop before you get started: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

http://www.lactnews.com/the_diaper_images.html

How many wets in a day? This will help us understand if it is an oversupply issue as well as the type of poop you are having. Generally a foremilk/hindmilk issue will have greener poop. This is due to the higher amounts of lactose in the formilk, which cause the poop to be expelled faster and less digested, and thus greener. This didn't really sound like the case.
    Your poop color is good.

Do you hear gulping? Is there any sputtering, coughing or gasping? Explain in greater detail what you see during and inbetween a feeding.
    thank you for the links, maybe her poohs are okay then...they just seem more watery. She has about 5-8 wets a day. No green poop.

yes, gulping and 2-3 times during the feed, she will cough, gag a bit, but then latches back on. she also turns her head and tugs at the nipple during feeding. this during different positions, including her in front/on top of breast

the spit up is constant, sometimes pure milk/watery, sometimes curdy, thick and sour. I was covered in milk yesterday I have been told this can be normal, but was extreme the last few days

She seems healthy, but has been more fussy during feeding and in between feeds. I would describe the in between, just more demanding...not content unless feeding or asleep.

any ideas? and thank you!

The coughing and gagging sound like there is an abundant amount of milk. Have you considered unlatching during a letdown so that the milk ejection reflect doesn't over whelm her? The tugging and clamping can be signs that the flow of milk is either too fast or too slow. In your case I would lean towards thinking you may have Over Active Let Down. (oald)

When she is trying to nurse down for a nap maybe you could offer up the emptier side. Sometimes they get fussy because they just want to nurse to sleep, but keep triggering a let down. Could this be the case?

When you say fussy, do you mean crying, pain or discomfort? Have you read over this article on reflux and its symptoms? http://www.llli.org/FAQ/ger.html

Your wet diapers are right on target. 5-6 wet disposables or 6-8 wet cloth diapers.