Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply question, pumping question...

Default Supply question, pumping question...

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 3 month old, and have some questions. First off, I just want to mention I had low supply issues in the beginning, but she has been EBF for 1.5 months. Okay, so my questions are:

She has started sleeping through her 2 am feeding. Me being nervous about my supply, I've kept getting up and have pumped during that feeding time. I was orginally getting 3-3.5 ounces. Now in the past week I only am getting 2 ounces. Does this mean anything?

Also yesterday was a very busy day for her. She attended a huge birthday party with tons of people. I felt so bad she was so over-stimulated yesterday. She watched me like a hawk and both of us where happy to get home last night. My question is, she slept for 10 hours straight last night! I have to admit, I'm so sleep deprived to that I slept straight through also. Could this have hurt my supply?

Today she is real fussy at the breast. Nurses for 2-5 minutes, pops off and cries real hard. Wont go back to the same breast, put her on the other and nurses again for 2-5 minutes, pops off and cries.

Anyone offer any advice as to what is going on? THANKS!

Default Re: Supply question, pumping question...

Hi there!

So if I understand correctly, you no longer have supply issues? Is that correct? As long as your baby continues to nurse during the day and has enough wet and dirty diapers, your supply should be fine! There's no reason to get up and pump at night, and if baby sleeps through, you can as well (unless you need to pump a little off for discomfort).

Her fussiness today might be a result of being over stimulated yesterday. Have you tried laying down to nurse her or going to a quiet, darkened room? Climbing into a warm bathtub and getting skin-to-skin with her might help as well!

Hugs

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Correct, I no longer have a supply problem. She is gaining weight just fine. I've been so worried that her starting to sleep longer periods of time will mean my supply will go down since it's not every 2-3 hours at night. I might still get up and pump so I have some extra milk in the freezer. Thanks for relieving my worrries.

I agree with the last post that you do not need to get up through the night to express milk. My little one has started sleeping for 8 hours straight at night and this has not affected my milk supply during the day (although he does seem to be cluster feeding on his last feed at night.) what I have started to do is express before I go to bed at about 11 o clock, this means that I am building up my freezer supply of breast milk and because my breast are drained before I go to sleep I'm not waking up sore through the night now.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Hi there!

So if I understand correctly, you no longer have supply issues? Is that correct? As long as your baby continues to nurse during the day and has enough wet and dirty diapers, your supply should be fine! There's no reason to get up and pump at night, and if baby sleeps through, you can as well (unless you need to pump a little off for discomfort).

Her fussiness today might be a result of being over stimulated yesterday. Have you tried laying down to nurse her or going to a quiet, darkened room? Climbing into a warm bathtub and getting skin-to-skin with her might help as well!

Hugs

Jen

Sounds like you're doing awesome! Congrats on getting your supply regulated and on that amazing 10 hours!!!!! I'm totally envious!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.