Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Started period now supply decreased!!

Default Started period now supply decreased!!

My LO is 4 1/2 months old and I just started my period 2 days ago. Suddenly my supply seems to have declined and my LO is hungry after nursing and is getting upset because he can't get any more milk out. I have NEVER had this problem before and I am concerned that he isn't getting enough milk. Will my supply increase after my period and also will this happen each month? Please help, I'm worried.

Default Re: Started period now supply decreased!!

Yes and yes. Totally normal, due to the change in hormones. Your supply will go back to normal afterward. Just let your LO nurse, nurse, nurse. Sorry to be the barer of bad news!

with pp
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Normal!
    Try some breast compressions at the end of a nursing session.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

AF is here too and caused a huge dip in my supply. Ds is frustrated and is super switch nursing. Hopefully, this will get my supply back up to where it needs to be. DARN YOU, AUNT FLO!!!!!
    Last edited by mommamags; May 10th, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!