Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cereal in bottle

Default cereal in bottle

i was talking to my cousin about my lack of sleep and she said i should try adding a little cereal to a night time bottle. she said her pedi said it was ok at 6 weeks. difference is my cousins baby is ff and i bf my LO. any thoughts, advice, facts on this? good idea? ok at 6weeks? how much cereal in how many oz of bm?

Happily engaged to my best friend , Matthew
    1st time mama to Lucianna Dene' 3/29/08
    Exclusively and for 12 weeks and counting!!
    We discovered that we LOVE !

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz 21 in
    2 mo: 10 lbs 11 oz 23 in

**first in my family to bf!**

Default Re: cereal in bottle

I've always heard that cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard.

Your baby is only a little over a month, right? That's still very, very young to be sleeping more than a couple of hours at a stretch. Are you co-sleeping? If you can figure out how to nurse in bed while lying down, you will probably get a lot more sleep.

Hang in there! I know sleep deprivation is awful, but it will be over eventually!!! If you have a spare moment, I suggest reading Elizabeth Pantley's "The No-Cry Sleep Solution." It's full of gentle ways get your baby to sleep longer and better at night.

thank u for the advice. i figured 6 weeks was too young to expect her to sleep longer than 2-3 hours at a time. i am cosleeping which, depending on the night, seems to help a bit. she sleeps best on her tummy (she can lift/hold up her head on her own now) but i have that nagging fear of SIDS. weve tried lying down while nursing but i just didnt like it. we both woke up covered in sticky milk...in her hair and on the sheets...not my cup of tea! so i guess ill wait it out and try to just enjoy our mommy-baby time...even if it is on an hr or 2 of sleep! thx again!

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

thats just a myth that cereal will make your baby sleep longer
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

I agree w/ PP, it is a choking hazard. Plus the AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding (no solids) for the first 6 months. Your breastmilk is perfect and comlete nutrition for your baby right now

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

yes, it's a myth that solids (at whatever age) will help babies sleep better. Giving solids before baby is ready, which is usually around 6 months, increases chances of allergies later on, so cereal in a bottle at 6 weeks, apart from the choking hazard, does not sound like a good idea at all.
    Maybe have a go again at feeding lying down in few weeks when you don't leak so much, I used to put a big towel on top of the sheets to make it less messy, and had another towel handy to put on the other breast to catch the leaking milk.

I agree about giving side lying nursing another shot. If you lay on a towel and an accept some of the milk being all over, it is a terrific way to sleep. you may get to a point where you do not care about a little bit of milk( or a lot of milk, as was the case with me )

another to seriously think about if you and your significant other have allergies: when you introduce solids so early, it increases the risk your baby might be allergic too i know a lot of people will say it must be ok to give cereal at a month or so because people have been doing it for years...(never mind the choking hazard). lots of things people did for years, then found out how bad it was (ie: smoking). studies show starting cereal earlydoesn't make babies sleep longer, and in fact sets them for probs:allergies/stomach probs because their bellies just aren't ready for anything other than bm/higher rates of diabetes and obesity. i don't understand people wanting to give their baby anything but bm, it's scientifically proven to be all they need and more for at least the 1st 6 months, and it's free....

Emma July 1st, 1995 10lbs 7oz

Liam October 1st,1996 10lbs 1oz

Hanna December 15th, 2007 9lbs 8oz (2 weeks early!)
    1 month: 12lbs 9oz
    2 months: 14lbs 9oz
    4 months: 16lbs

thank you all for your feedback. i am a new mama and there are many things i dont know....not to mention ppl tell you so many different things, its hard to know what to do! but i thank u for all of the helpful info...i will NOT be adding cereal to my LOs bottle and i will continue to EBM/EBF.