Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Support

Red face Breastfeeding Support

I am currently on Active Duty in the Army and have been breastfeeding my eight month old daughter. I am stationed in Germany and have been unable to find support for breastfeeding. I have been personally asked to talk to four different women in this area about breastfeeding and have attempted to offer support. I have no information except my own experiences to share and I know every women is different. I want to promote breastfeeding and I know they need support and information, but I don't know where to direct them. Please help!

Default Re: Breastfeeding Support

Wow -- good for you for nursing your daughter this long and while on Active Duty in the Army (and overseas, no less!) That is a rare accomplishment, and it is no wonder that others are looking to you for guidance and support.

LLL is a great source of accurate breastfeeding information, and we are here to support mothers in breastfeeding for as long as they want to breastfeed. LLL has accrued reliable information on breastfeeding in every circumstance imaginable.

There may be LLL groups near you in Germany; some Leaders there do speak English as well as German. Some U.S. military base communities also have LLL groups. Here is where to look:

http://www.lalecheliga.de/english-area.htm

If a mother cannot find a local Leader or group, there are online resources such as these messageboards. You will find many links at this page:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/bfinfo.html

Many moms find the LLL catalog an invaluable resource. LLL sells many, many books and pamphlets about breastfeeding and mothering, from the general-interest level to the very specific and professionally-oriented.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/catalog.html

For many new moms, reading _The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding_ (be sure it's the latest edition) is all they need to be reassured that they are on the right track with breastfeeding. So that's usually the first book I recommend.

The last thing I will mention is that if you enjoy talking with mothers about breastfeeding and want to make sure that you are giving them accurate information that is not limited to your own unique experiences, you might consider becoming a LLL Leader yourself. There is a special program even for Leader Applicants who do not have a group or a sponsoring Leader nearby -- it can all be done long-distance if necessary.

--Rebecca

I would like the information about what it takes to be a LLL leader. I would also like information about the time it takes. I command a company and have my own daughter. I have 20 pregnant soldiers and in addition the medical folks here have said there are over 100 pregnant family members in the military community. The army just closed the US hospital here and all family members are delivering on the German economy and the culture here is very different from the US. I've worked with a family member and we've created a book of information for having babies in Germany, but as I stated have very little information on breastfeeding. We are trying to create a program for the pregnant woman (and new moms) now because my unit is deploying and there is potential that the dads will be deployed and unable to be here. Everyone doesn't have e-mail, but I can rally a few other women to help if I am guided the right way. I feel this is an important endeavor. My baby is the most important person in my life and am personally proud that I have been able to breastfeed this long (most people are shocked considering the hours I work--sometimes 14 hour days--and the commitment it takes to pump)... I could share some stories... Please continue to provide any resources and if there are books I can get my hands on, pamphlets, or videos... Thanks!

I hope you are able to find more information. I find your story inspirational. When I am having a bad bf day, I will mentally refer to your story. It will help me "suck it up" and drive on.

Wow -- I like your take-charge attitude! I think LLL needs you!!

You cannot formally apply to become a Leader Applicant until your baby is at least 9 months old, I believe. The LA process takes some time -- several months to a year, depending on how quickly you move through the requirements and how promptly you and your LLL "superiors" communicate at each stage.

But -- I think there is no need to wait for Leadership before you set up a program to connect the many pregnant and breastfeeding moms in your community with LLL information and resources. Explore the LLL website, and I will flag this thread for a Leader here to look at so she can hopefully direct you more precisely to the support structure that you need for this project.

--Rebecca

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/leader.html
    heres a link about what you have to do to be a leader..
    a good book you might want to start with is the breastfeeding answer book.
    You can get it right at this website, click on the catalogue link in the top.
    its kind of $$$ but worth every penny, most normal questions are covered in the book.