Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: flouride?

Default flouride?

Another question and another thread

Do you supplement either yourselves or your babies directly with any type of flouride?
    I am not sure I believe in it, for from what I have read - it sounds more dangerous than good for them?!

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Default Re: flouride?

we don't because OUr city water already has it added...
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi....html#Fluoride

from that link
    Fluoride

Currently there is no conclusive evidence indicating that fluoride supplements in infancy improve a breastfed baby's dental health. Dr. Ruth Lawrence (author of "Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession") states:

evidence supports the contention that there is adequate fluoride in human milk, and fluorosis from excessive amounts is a concern.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has released an interim policy statement on fluoride supplementation: "Fluoride Supplementation for Children: Interim Policy Recommendations". Their stance is this:

Fluoride should not be administered to infants during the first 6 months after birth, whether they are breast- or formula-fed. During the period from 6 months to 3 years of age, breastfed infants (and formula-fed infants) require fluoride supplementation only if the water supply is severely deficient in fluoride (<0.3 ppm). [This particular statement is from the AAP's policy statement on breastfeeding.]

Many city water systems add fluoride to the water. If you use well water or bottled water, it's unlikely that fluoride has been added to your water, but it may still be there. Fluoride occurs naturally in most water, so you really need to know how much fluoride is in your water before you decide whether to supplement.

How do you find out how much fluoride is in your drinking water?

If you use city water, call your local water department to find out.
    If you use bottled water, call the bottling company.
    If you use well water, you can ask your local water department about having your water tested for fluoride - fluoride analysis isn't very expensive (I've seen it advertised for $10).
    After you know how much fluoride is already in your drinking water, you can look at the AAP recommendations and decide whether fluoride supplementation might be beneficial.

More information (both pro & con):
    Fluoridation and breastmilk from Debbi Donovan, IBCLC

Should my 6 month old and my 3 year old take fluoride vitamins? from AskDrSears.com

Fluoride in Your Water from AskDrSears.com

What is Fluoride and Why You Won't Want to Use It by Carol S. Kopf, BS, MA, from DrJayGordon.com

Debunking Fluoride: Cavity Fighter or Toxic Intruder? by Carol S. Kopf, BS, MA, from Mothering Issue 107, July/August 2001

Fluoride Links from DrJayGordon.com

Teething and Dental Hygiene from the American Academy of Pediatrics

Journal search on Fluoride and Human Milk

I do not give my son any fluoride or fluoride added nursery water or anything. I give him bottled spring water. I drink tap water that is filtered so I don't know if I get fluoride in it or not.

No way I wouldnt anyways. Alot of countries have banned it. Scary!

http://www.nofluoride.com/
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Thanks Ladies I researched and found the varying opinions and wondered what other Mama's were thinking

I have basically the same answer as Andrea. Our water already has it added.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Kelly Mom...rocks!! New permanent favorite