Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Iron deficiency?!

Default Iron deficiency?!

I am trying the BLW approach to my babies eating. I went and saw her doctor today and she told me to make sure that she gets adequate iron in her diet, for to prevent anemia. I thought breast feeding was the best way for babies to absorb iron? (Of course, I didn't ask her ths question this morning because I am always too busy listening to think of the ?'s I want to ask?!)
    Anyway what do you BLW approach ladies feed your babies to make sure that they get their iron?
    Tell me.. tell me.. tell me...your opinions.. Pretty Please

...Yeah I should mention that I am just starting out & my baby's only 6 mons. My doc was pressing me into feeding her the fortified cereals?! I'm not sure I am crazy about the idea, even though the ones I would feed her would be organic/all - natural That's why I am looking for advice from Mama's who have been where I am right now, in particular, but thanks for any & all advice!
    Last edited by fairbeauty29; May 9th, 2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: to add more info

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Default Re: Iron deficiency?!

I thought about BLW but panicked when lo didn't feed himself any food and just continued to spoon feed him my homemade food. If I waited it out I'm sure he would've started feeding himself. But I did talk to the pedi about iron and she was very reassuring to me that bm has the most absorbable iron for babies. Even if formula or cow's milk has more, most gets absorbed in bm so I shouldn't worry. I feed him a little meat with lunch and dinner, including red meat probably once a day (not much) and dark green veggies like broccoli, so I am confident he is fine. Also, he's taking vitamins now that his teeth have come in, because they have flouride, and I believe they have iron as well. Ask your pedi about it, tell her his diet and see what she recommends. Just rest assured that if your lo is getting enough bm, there is well absorbed iron in there . Just find out if you need to give her more.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

meats!
    you can have their iron checked with a simple finger prick.
    My dd had low low iron and she took a supliment called flora dix...
    http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...cts/r64771.asp

Wow!! Thank you..that's exactley what I needed..Kelly Mom tells everything I could have imagined..

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

Do not freak out about baby getting enough iron. IMHO, to many Dr.'s in their sheer lack of education on BF think that EBF babies do not get enough iron. I am not telling you to ignore your Dr. because it can occasionally be a problem, but if your Dr wants you to give vitamins or fortified cereal and you do not want to or baby refuses to eat cereal, insist on them checking your baby for anemia first. they do a simple finger stick, and they get results in like 10 seconds. Most babies have enough iron between the stores in their body at birth and the iron absorbed in BM to make to 9-12 months without needing extra sources. Dr.'s are told that BM has very little iron (which is true in comparison to formula) but they are not told that the iron in BM is much easier digested.
    My son did not eat baby food at all, and was never close to being anemic. He started eating some crackers at about 6 mo. and cheerios and other finger foods at about 7-8 mo. Cheerios have iron, red meat, and alot of the green veggies have iron too.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and