Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD Already Self-Weaning or Heat Wave To Blame???

Default DD Already Self-Weaning or Heat Wave To Blame???

I really hope you can give me advice about what to do…

Background

My DD just turned 7 months old. We had a rough start (traumatized nipples, full-time expression, bottle since 2 weeks old) but got all of it straightened out by the time DD turned 4 months old. Since then, she’s been nursed directly and exclusively. I introduced solids using Gill Rapley’s baby-led introduction to solids approach when DD turned 6 months old. She’s gradually getting the hang of chewing although she hasn’t quite yet mastered swallowing. She is getting something in, however, since her poopy diapers have changed. But, I wouldn’t say it should affect her milk intake by a long shot since she gets solids only once a day (dinner time) and at lunch from Friday – Sunday (when I’m off). She’ll eventually get more solids when she actually learns how to eat, or rather, swallow.

We’ve also started letting her practice with a sippy cup with a little bit of water. Again, she has yet to master holding and tipping it. If and when she does drink from it, it’s more because she’s playing rather than being thirsty. So, I would say she gets no fluids, other than breastmilk, when we’re apart (3 bottles of approx. 120 ml / 4 oz within 9 hours).

Problem

We’re going through the second heat wave of the summer with no end in sight. Since the start of it (and my problem) a week ago, DD has a hard time falling asleep at the breast before bedtime. She doesn’t seem interested in nursing. Throughout the day, it’s a chore to get her to nurse. She squirms and is distracted by the tiniest peep or creak throughout the house. And if and when she does latch on and suckle, it’ll be for a minute or two and then she slides off and immediately puts her thumb in her mouth. If I put her down, she’ll start signing “milk” and then it starts all over again.

When I returned to work, I resumed my usual 3 times every 3 hours expressing schedule. To my dismay, I pumped only 2 ounces after going back and forth several times. I usually get a minimum of 4 ounces. I didn’t freak because DD usually nurses 2 hours before. I usually can make up for it during the second pumping session. Again, only 2 ounces. Then I really freaked and it dawned on me… could DD be weaning? A 7 months? Keep in mind that she gets no other fluids and has suddenly lost her interest in solids. My mother-in-law (who isn’t crazy about my applying the Gill Rapley method…) insists I should introduce rice cereal and mashed/pureed solids on a spoon. I know DD… she won’t stand for it and besides, it’s not that she doesn’t want breastmilk… she doesn’t seem to want anything.

When DD does manage to fall alseep, she’ll sleep anywhere from 7 – 10 hours straight. Of course, my breasts have gotten used the looonnng stretch.

Advice

I contacted a lactation consultant whom I’ve contacted in the past. She suggests that DD is already starting to self wean but I disagree. I don’t think DD is necessarily on a nursing strike because she’ll nurse if I offer but I suspect the warm weather is playing a major role. And if DD is weaning, it’s within a space of a week!!! It doesn’t seem possible… LC advised waking DD up at least once during the night to nurse until heat wave breaks.

I can accept if DD is ready to wean but I do not want to replace EBM with formula. I think she may be fooling me (not intentionally, of course) into thinking she’s weaning but is there a way to know for sure? And if I want to extend the nursing relationship until DD is at least a year (to avoid giving a replacement), is this appropriate?

In the meantime, I’ve started taking domperidon, and expressing like mad.

Any advice would be WELCOMED!

Default Re: DD Already Self-Weaning or Heat Wave To Blame???

how are her diapars? And growth?
    Sometimes babies get very good at nursing and they don't need to nurses as much as we think they should.
    Ive watched my babies "get smart" they figure out if they nurse they will go to sleep and they do not want that.
    Just keep trying to get her to nurse.
    many be a nice bath right before bed would relax her so that she would go to sleep?

DD's diapers aren't that great... my husband even remarked to me the other day that her pee diapers seem to be significantly less than normal and she poops once or twice a week (which I realize is normal).

Having written all of this, we went for a well-baby check up almost a week ago and the pediatrician said she was growing very well. She gained a pound and grew an inch since her last visit a month before. But, we were only a week into this two-week heat wave which is expected to break this weekend.

I've also have gotten into the habit of "watering her down" by giving her a bath just to cool off. I just pour little cupfuls of water over her and then immediately dress her in paper thin cotton pajamas and then nurse her sitting in front of a stationary fan with a towel separating her from my lap, to reduce sweating from body heat. So far, it seems to be working. She's more than willing to nurse. She'll even beg for it whenever I'm too slow in reacting. She knows the ASL sign for "milk" and uses it often so there's no mistaking when she wants to nurse. But, I do have to provide 3 bottles of 4 oz EBM.

Yesterday, she had two big pee diapers while my husband took care of her so I think her premature weaning was a false alarm. Now I need to concentrate on improving my milk production. I expect DD's appetite will increase once the heatwave breaks and will want to nurse, nurse, nurse (so I hope!).

another thing to think about at that age I think they can figure out how to "hold " their pee. My dd did she would only have a few wets a day but boy when she went it was soaking. We started potty learning when she was just a year old.
    becuase I was training her older brother and she wanted to go also.
    keep trying