Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reglan ?

Default Reglan ?

I've been reading on here that some people have used it to increase there milk supply. I was hoping I haven't read this wrong. Can someone give advice? I've been using fenugreek to help my supply but it's not helping alot but I also have a script fpr reglan that I have not filled because it was perscribed for morning sickness. Please help?

Default Re: Reglan ?

Can you explain more of your supply issue with us? When did it begin, what have you been trying ect.

My supply problem begain when he was born. I had my tubes tied right after he was born and I'm thinking the meds made him sleepy for the first week. Also I was on codine when I brought him home which made both of us tired. I also had an infection 2 weeks after he came home which caused me to hurt on one side and not want to nurse. Not to mention he was latching on wrong. I've been trying to pump between feedings, fenugreek and keeping him latched on as long as he'll stay. It still seems like some of the feedings he's still hungry after.

I have a low milk supply issue and used fenugreek for two weeks with a small increase in production. I started Reglan three days ago and am waiting to see how significant the improvement is, if any. Between the two, I've been able to reduce formula supplement to just one (4oz) per day and was able to pump enough yesterday (3.5oz) to leave a bottle of EBM for my mother in law when she babysat for us.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I took Reglan and it did help me. I went from 5oz pumped per day to 13. I was also using Fenugreek. I couldn't take the regular dose of 1 pill 3x's a day. The side effects were too much. I went down to 1/2 pill 3x a day. My doc only gave me a 10 day supply, I ran out and my supply dropped back to 5oz. She gave me a 1 time refill but I stopped again as the side effects were getting to me. Be cautious if you take it. It made me jittery and I was also falling asleep at 8:30 at night. Being jittery was especially hard while working an 8 hour day.
    Laura -Mom to Sammie Born 12/19/2007 via c-section. 7lbs 12oz 20in
    & for my little one!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is experincing the jetters with it. I'm on the same dose as you were but think I will cut down like you did to a 1/2 a pill a day. Thanks for your help!

I used Domperidone with breastfeeding my first child. It's also a drug used for increasing milk supply. It worked for me and for other moms in my local breastfeeding support group. One of Reglan's side effects is depression, so that is the sole reason that I went with domperidone. Domperidone was recommened by my lactation consultant and I also checked with the local La Leche league to verify that it was safe to take. I hope this helps.

Wife to Brian, Mother to James 11/28/2005 and Kevin 02/24/2008.

03/06/2008 8 pounds 3 ounces
    03/11/2008 8 pounds 12 ounces
    03/21/2008 9 pounds 12 ounces
    04/08/2008 11 pounds exactly
    05/01/2008 13 pounds 6 ounces
    05/08/2008 14 pounds exactly

Breastfeeding goals:
    2 weeks
    4 weeks
    6 weeks
    2 months
    3 months
    6 months
    9 months
    1 year!!

We don't have accsess to that here! Thanks for the help

I tried the 1/2 a pill tonight and I'm still a little jittery but not like I was. I think I can handle this and want to thank you for your advice. I just hope it will help.

Although you certainly got off to a rough start with BF'ing it doesn't mean you can't get your supply back up there. I personally didn't try Reglan because of the side effects. Have you exhausted all other options before trying the Reglan, or in addition to taking the medication?

Skin to skin contact (take baths, cuddling time, read together, co-cleep, baby wearing)
    Oatmeal for breakfast
    Brewer's Yeast
    Drink water to thirst.. not too much, not too little
    Diet of lean proteins and leafy greens
    Beer (non-alcoholic if you do it every day)
    Fenugreek- up the amount you're taking. Your skin should smell like maple syrup
    Blessed Thistle- take with the fenugreek if the fenugreek doesn't work by itself
    Remove milk often- nurse and/or pump as much as possible
    Ditch the bottle/paci if possible

HTH
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09