Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not satisfied

Unhappy not satisfied

My six month old does not seem to be satisfied with his last
    feeding before bed and I have to defrost milk and give him a
    bottle. Does that mean my milk supply has gone down and should
    I take measures to bulid it up?

Default Re: not satisfied

No. It means your child is probably going through a six month growth spurt AND may be teething. When you say "not satisfied" is he drinking from both breasts and then continuing to root? OR has the number of times he is waking during the night increased?

Way too lazy for formula

I agree, seeming to be still hungry after nursing can mean many things.

Have you considered introducing solids if this is an ongoing issue? Many women take increased hunger after nursing ( when NOT related to teething or growth spurts) as a sign that baby may be ready for a small introduction to solids.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html You can read the whole article yourself and tell us what you think.

he is still rooting and fussing at the breast. I have a hard time putting him down to sleep and then waking more in the early part of the night.

he is still fussing at breast and getting mad then I have a hard time putting him down to
    sleep. When he does finally go down a wakes a few times in the early night to nurse.

normal!
    If you want to aviod the bottles just nurse more often.
    thats the best way to build supply...
    are you appart during the day?

Some babies get smart and will wait for mom to nurse and will take little milk at day care.

Hi, everyone! this is my first post. i have similar thing to julie4. i don't know if its related to hunger, though. my son is 5.5 mo old, and i have been on this forum since day one. i would like to thank everyone. we never had any problems breastfeeding, mainly because i would read the posts and know what to do before problems occured, i.e. fussy at breast, frequent feedings, growth spurts. i feel i know all you ladies personally and all the information has been invaluable!!!! i had same problem with DS (i even know abbreviations!!!!) waking about 5 times in the next 2 hours after he goes down for the night, sometimes wanting to nurse, altough i never gave him a bottle. but lately he just wants me to hug him and he falls right back asleep. it has been going for 2 months now. i have no problem comforting him, its just that this is my only 2 hours that i would have to myself before bed. he goes at 7 pm, i go at 9.30. he only naps three 20 min naps a day. is this normal and how long will it last?

[QUOTE=nakouzijurga0;508263]Hi, everyone! this is my first post. i have similar thing to julie4. i don't know if its related to hunger, though. my son is 5.5 mo old, and i have been on this forum since day one. i would like to thank everyone. we never had any problems breastfeeding, mainly because i would read the posts and know what to do before problems occured, i.e. fussy at breast, frequent feedings, growth spurts. i feel i know all you ladies personally and all the information has been invaluable!!!! i had same problem with DS (i even know abbreviations!!!!) waking about 5 times in the next 2 hours after he goes down for the night, sometimes wanting to nurse, altough i never gave him a bottle. but lately he just wants me to hug him and he falls right back asleep. it has been going for 2 months now. i have no problem comforting him, its just that this is my only 2 hours that i would have to myself before bed. he goes at 7 pm, i go at 9.30. he only naps three 20 min naps a day. is this normal and how long will it last?

Hi,
    All nap schedules are subject to change because of growth spurts, teething and developmental milestones. Don't get too comfortable!
    At 5.5 months you can hope for around 18 hours of sleep total.

Quote Originally Posted by julie4 View Post
    he is still fussing at breast and getting mad then I have a hard time putting him down to
    sleep. When he does finally go down a wakes a few times in the early night to nurse.
    Normal--most likely due to growth spurt. Instead of reaching for your freezer stash (which would eventually 1) deplete your freezer stash and 2) decrease your milk production), why not try switching sides (as often as baby needs to) and breast compressions? This will send the signal for your body to increase milk production to match your baby's demand AND assure that your baby is satisfied after that feeding.

Has there been any change in your baby's diaper output?