Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Angry" Feedings / Puking - Help! I'm panicking!

Default Re: "Angry" Feedings / Puking - Help! I'm panicking!

many babies with gerd dont cry when they actually spit up. my son cried while eating because it hurt to swallow because of the esophagal damage.

dd has reflux & it doesn't bother her to throw up either. she actually seems happier once she's tossed her cookies! it only bothers her during nursing. i think dd nurses better despite the reflux when she's sleepy bc it is more instinct/habit/reflex. when she's wide awake she is more likely to get frustrated & fired up if she doesn't like something.

Wow, I wish I'd looked at this message board a long time ago! This thread sounds like it may be exactly what I've been experiencing with my dd. I tried talking to friends/family but they kept telling me my dd was just a fussy baby.

My dd is 13 weeks old. Starting around the second week she started having "angry feedings" - arching back, fighting the breast, pulling off then re-latching fiercely only to pull away again, crying and then afterwards spitting up. It made me so upset and I felt like a terrible mother. In hindsight after reading the info here it seemed to start happening right around the time the LC told me that I should be feeding from both sides each feeding and not just one side as I'd been doing. I was also worried then that maybe I didn't have enough milk because she seemed to want to feed every hour but fussed so much I thought maybe she just wasn't getting anything out, but this didn't make sense because often my breasts would spray milk and especially at night would become engorged. The LC and doctor told me not to worry that since she was gaining weight well (LOTS of weight actually - in the 95th percentile) I should not be concerned - that the frequent feedings and fussiness were just due to gas and normal behavior. Well, I went back to work these past couple weeks and discovered that I'm pumping nearly twice as much milk while away from her than she is actually taking in which is what led me to read this forum.

My dd has been less fussy during feedings than she was early on, so I wonder if maybe she has adapted some. I do notice though she is still very gassy, spits up a lot, tends to fall asleep nursing or lets a lot of milk spill out when nursing, and I have noticed her clamping off my nipples at times. I've also had two severe episodes of sore nipples. There are still other times like today that she still cries at the breast as if she doesn't like it but comes back for more an hour later.

The info here I really hope will help this situation. Its been going on so long I just assumed that its just what fussy babies do. I just wished I'd read this sooner as it upsets me to think how uncomfortable my dd has been and that I could have been doing something to help her. I think I will go back to feeding one side per feeding session at this point and see if that helps remedy things and go from there. I'm also wondering if I should cut back on my pumping sessions at work. I had been pumping three times - every 2 to 3 hours. Maybe I should cut back to two times - every 3 to 4 hours. I was worried that if I went 4 hours without pumping my supply would drop drastically. But after reading this, I think I have more of the opposite to be concerned about. I definitely don't want to be overstimulating my supply.

I'm also wondering what to do if dd falls asleep after only feeding for five or ten minutes on one side? Should I put her back on that side again the next feeding to make sure she's getting that hind milk? Then switch sides the next feeding? It doesn't happen all the time, but today its happened a lot.

Thanks for sharing all the great info and links! Its also helpful to hear I'm not alone. I hadn't been able to find any other moms who knew what I was experiencing. I'd just been so miserable, but I refused to give up on BFing. I just know its the best thing for my dd if I can only get thing balanced so she can be happier with it.

~June
    Last edited by Kirasmom; July 30th, 2006 at 01:15 PM.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Kirasmom
    I'm also wondering what to do if dd falls asleep after only feeding for five or ten minutes on one side? Should I put her back on that side again the next feeding to make sure she's getting that hind milk? Then switch sides the next feeding? It doesn't happen all the time, but today its happened a lot.
    At the advice of the materials on over-supply, I have been "block feeding" since Wednesday night. So, in answer to your question, that would mean that whether it's a five minute or a 30 minute feeding before your dd falls asleep, you would continue to offer her the same side for a certain amount of time, allowing the other side to become engorged. (And overtime, start making less.)

I've been feeding in 3-hour blocks. The first feeding on a side is somewhat of a struggle, but my ds is so much happier all the other feedings on that side. Of course, the engorgement reminds me much of the first week after the milk comes in, but I know it's only temporary, and already my ds and I's bf relationship is improving - tremendously. It really si such an easy fix!!

My advice, and I'm new at this whole over-supply thing, but if it were me, I would block-pump, as well, and maybe only pump as much as your baby eats. As the PodCast says, this is not the time to try to increase your freezer stash.

Thanks for explaining the block feeding idea. I saw it mentioned but didn't quite understand what it meant. I sort of ended up doing it that way anyway this evening as she was wanting to be fed every hour and would only nibble, so it didn't seem like a good idea to switch sides so early. When I finally switched her to the other side several hours later, she did fuss quite a bit, but calmed down the second time on. I will watch how much I pump tomorrow. I am going to try only pumping twice and see what happens. I have so much milk in the freezer its not like I have to worry I'll run out.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad to hear things are going better for you. It gives me some hope that this will improve.

~June

Exclamation Re: "Angry" Feedings / Puking - Help! I'm panicking!

Yesterday I was feeding my dd and it was fitful, upsetting and "angry" most of the day. I thought it was due to eating green beans the night before and she had gas. She had bubbles in her tummy and was passing gas often. She also seemed to be uncomfortable while going #2. Like I said, I chalked it up to gas - feeling terrible that I had eaten something that upset her stomach so much.

Then, last night, after two GREAT, easy feedings I was like "Yay, it's over, all is well" and at 7:15am this morning my daughter did the same kind of feeding. Latching on only for mere minutes, sucking vigorously and then getting "angry" again. She appears so upset that it breaks my heart. I recalled reading this post recently and thought, I have to read it again! And, I am identifying with the Over Supply, Over Active Let Down things... My breasts do let down often and I know I have a lot of milk in there because I can pump 5 ounces in 5 minutes. I am planning on watching the PodCast soon. I am assuming that it will speak to me as well... I'll keep you posted.

Thank you, Thank you for posting this.