Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does nursing ever make you hormonal?

Default Does nursing ever make you hormonal?

Okay - any moms out there who have been nursing for a while (my dd is almost 1) who feel hormonal every now and then?

I have had a few days here and there that remind me of those crazy PMS days of intense chocolate cravings, moodiness, fatigue, scatterbrain-ness, and feeling those "I love you but I don't like you very much today" moments with my husband...who is such a good sport - lol!

I haven't had my period, since I'm still nursing. Do our hormones ever shift because of nursing? Is my body changing somehow? Or was today just a grumpy day for me?

Just curious, really. My dd has been dropping some feedings recently, so I wondered if that caused it.

If anyone has any info, it's greatly appreciated.

Excuse me while I go dive into the peanut butter and chocolate!

Default Re: Does nursing ever make you hormonal?

Your not the only one! I kept "PMSy" for about a week out of the month. I have gained 6 pounds in the last 3 months because of my cravings.
    Just recently I started to feel really blue, very emotional and could cry at the drop of a hat. It lasted for about 2-3 days and now it is gone.
    I always feel exhausted though.
    One of the MD's that I work with said that it is normal to go through hormonal changes while still nursing.
    It will get better!

Sheila,

Thank you for your thoughts! It's good to know that we're normal and healthy. I find that I'm tired often, too. That I can deal with!

Take good care, and good for you for nursing!

XOXO

Yep. And I realized those episodes happened when I would have been having a period. I was having cyclic cervical mucus, which was my body thinking about gearing up for ovulation, and those hormonal days were always around 10-16 days later. . .

Enjoy the chocolate and peanut butter
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just have to tell you this funny story. Last night my DH and I were just talking right before dinner. He said something and I replied, " I know, I haven't had my cycle in almost a year!! " All of a sudden I heard this awful noise in the kitchen sink, and when I turned around the look on his face said it all!! I thought I would die laughing. I had to explain to him that that is why breastfeeding being a form of BC is a myth. He finally relaxed but after about 10 minutes of asking if i was sure that's why I haven't had one. It was hallarious. This is the perfect thing to use at the in-laws. hehehe

AJ's Mom, that was a funny story. I could only imagine the look on your DH's face!! I love when you are at the doc's office and they ask for your last menstral cycle. I don't even have to think about it, I happily say "April 2005!!!!!"
    I DREAD the day my cycle does start. I have been enjoying this too much. Luckily for me, ds has reflux and he nurses more frequently than probably normal. He usually nurses 2-3 hours when we are together. I try to pump atleast every 2 hours also when I am away (partly due to the little amount I get each time I pump). I have heard the more your lo nurses, the less likely you are to start your period.