Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping too much?

Default Pumping too much?

Hello everyone,

It's probably silly that it's taken me this long to wonder if I'm pumping too much, but here's my situation.

DD is 6 months old and is a reverse cycler (easily accommodated by co-sleeping, as others have mentioned) ever since I went back to work. She's another bottle-refuser, so her daytime EBM consumption is pretty low. I'm not worried about her (she's happy and active and a very healthy 23 pounds to date) but our freezer is full to bursting with EBM.

I have been pumping (both breasts) 3x a day on my full days and 2x on my half days. I've also got somewhat of an overabundant milk supply. DD has only ever fed off one side at a time; we just started out that way and I never thought much about my milk supply because she always nursed for a decent amount of time on one side and was satisfied for 1.5 to 2 hours. I've been noticing that the EBM is not as creamy as what I pumped when I first started back to work, so I don't think I'm emptying my breasts very effectively.

Should I be pumping less often because of her nursing habits and my overproductivity? Should I swtich from double pumping to just doing one side at a time? I know it doesn't seem like diminished supply is something I should be worried about it, but my milk took forever to come in in the first place so I'm a little worried about doing anything that will cause me to dry up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Pumping too much?

My son never caught on to the breastfeeding but takes bottles of BM happily and nurses a little in the morning and at night along with bottles. So, I am almost an exclusive pumper.

I would suggest pumping for the same amount of times but decrease the duration that you are pumping.
    when I notice that I have way too much milk in the fridge, I decrease the amount of time that I pump for. give it a try, it may work for you.
    Good luck!

Karen
    Proud mother of Nathaniel, 3.5 months old.

Default Re: Pumping too much?

Thanks Karen! I'll give that a try and see how it goes.