Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk should I have stored?

Default How much milk should I have stored?

My LO is 3 1/2 mos, I will be going back to work in about 3 weeks. I had pumped and built up a good freezer supply of milk, but found out 2 weeks ago that he has a milk allergy. Therefore, most of the milk I have in the freezer he can't tolerate (develops severe colic) . I know I will need a good supply of frozen milk to help supplement what I will be able to pump at work, I just don't know how much is enough. I will be working only 2 days a week, but the shifts are long (about 12 hours).

Default Re: How much milk should I have stored?

this is what i do i figure out about how much bm my daughter drinks in estimate and that is what i unfreeze at a time my dd is 7 months old and she drinks about 40 to 45 oz a day gove or take hope this helps

my DD is 9 months old and I work 12 hour shifts as well. My advice to you is pump atleast 3 times during your shift! When I dropped down to just two sessions a shift (using a hospital grade pump) my pump supply severely decrease and I am still having trouble pumping enough for DD now that we have gone thorugh the freezer stash. I have enough BM in my breasts, it just doesnt want to come out when I pump! She doesnt take that much EBM though. She has never taken more than 5 oz every 3 hours, and now at 9 months she takes 3 4 oz bottles while I am at work. I would try to pump every night before bed, and when you return to work pump or feed before you leave for work then pump 3-4 times during the day for 15-20 mins. And dont stress over it!

This site is helpful to estimate how much you need...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...