Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could it be thrush again

Default Could it be thrush again

so we had thrush for the first 5 weeks of life and then got rid of it. Well I have been taking antibiotics for 6 days now and I have been taking acidophilus to help counter react them. well my nipples are now starting to get sore (even when I pump). They sting for when he first latches on (or when the pump first starts) and then it gets better. Nothing afterwards or anything. What would you do? I have Newman's APNO and have started to use that too. Should I just continue what I'm doing?

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

Default Re: Could it be thrush again

Hmmm, it sounds like it might be thrush but it's hard to say for sure. I'd keep taking the acidophilus, maybe even twice a day. Do you have a high quality brand? I'd also keep using the APNO.
    Other things you can do are change breast pads often and wash your bras and breastpads after each use on hot with vinegar to kill any yeast. Let your breasts/nipples get some air when possible.
    And of course, talk to your health care provider about your concerns.
    Does your LO have any symptoms?
    HTH a little.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Sounds to me like you have contracted it this happened to me and I treated with Nystatin and my LC informed me that we, me and baby, (use a calendar) need to treat ourselves for 2 more weeks after the symptoms are gone to be sure it is all gone.

I started with sore nipples then a crack then bleeding while pumped and if you stop it now it won't progress. I used Neosporin after it bled and left my bra unlatched (at work hahaah if they only knew) to let it dry out and to not push my nipple in the direction of the crack. I also applied nystatin before I nursed for double protection.
    Bummer for you! But it will go away I can be a witness to that.

Forgot to mention- I would also boil the pump parts and bottles/nipples in vinegar water between uses (or as often as you can) to kill any yeast that might be on them.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My LO has no symptoms and I'm having a hard time getting any creme to treat it because he doesn't have any symptoms. I also started taking GSE so I hope that helps. I just don't want it to get as bad as it did last time.

Me (25)
    DH (26)
    DS Born December 5, 2007

Nursed 1 year and we are going on strong!

I am:
    , , , and

I agree with Molly, just be really diligent about cleaning everything that touches your nipples and baby's mouth. Use vinegar rinses on your nipples (half water, half vinegar) after nursing and add a cup of vinegar to all your wash, washing in hot water. Only wear your bras or use towels once before washing and wash your bed sheets.

If you get to it before it gets bad it's so much better. I cut off 2 flare ups by being proactive when I suspected it was coming back.

You might try gentian violet as well. You can use it on yourself and baby. It's over the counter and you can get it at most pharmacies. I got mine at wal mart for less than $3. Let me know if you want more info about how to use it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous