Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain

Cool Weight gain

I got off to a slow start in the hospital but a lactation consultant and a nipple shield got me going. My baby is on a demand schedule every 2-4 hours day and night. He nurses for 15 to 45 minutes each feeding and seems to be pooping and wetting well. He had jaundice at 1 week and was on a light machine at home for 2 days. He weighed 7lb. 4 oz at birth and we were not told what he weighed when he went home. He wakes us at appropriate times and is never terribly fussy and appears satisfied after feedings. At his 2 week checkup he weighed 7 lbs. Everything appears fine but when I weighed him today, I find he has gained no weight! He will be four weeks old on Wednesday. He appears alert and normal developmentally. I have pumped and supplemented with breast milk but he has never had formula. I will take him to the Dr. tomorrow but should I panic?

Default Re: Weight gain

Don't panic! He probably got below 7lbs at hospital. They lose weight intially. If the diaper output is good don't worry. A good way to tell is put him on a scale naked and then agian right after he eats so you can see how much he's getting in a feeding/

also weight checks are not reliable if they are not done on the same scale, at the same time a day, before or after a feed makes a big difference and also if his bladder or bowls are full or empty. Please do not panic. Out put is the best indicator in whether a tiny baby is getting enough milk.

Congratulations on your new baby and on establishing such a happy breastfeeding relationship already!

At his 2wk checkup, I presume he was weighed on a scale at the doctor's office?

When you weighed him today, was it on that same scale?

You say that he is wetting and pooping well. How many of each type of diaper did he make in the last 24 hours?

With him nursing every 2-4 hours on demand, how many times did he nurse in the past 24 hours?

A before-feed/after-feed weighing will measure his milk intake accurately ONLY with a special scale, so don't try this at home unless you have the kind of scale that an IBCLC would use for that purpose. Even on the correct kind of scale, a before-feed/after-feed weight only tells you what the baby took at that one feeding. The amount per feeding can vary quite a bit, so it is not reliable to extrapolate out from one measurement to estimate his daily milk intake.

I suspect that you will see a better weight gain on the dr's scale on Wednesday. If not, then it still is not cause for panic -- but may be reason to look closely at breastfeeding management with an IBCLC.

Keep us posted.

--Rebecca

In the past 24 hours, he has nursed 9 times. Some feedings he gets satisfied, stays awake for an hour or so and nurses again before falling asleep. His longest sleep without nursing was 4 hours. He has also had one attempt at a supplement (which he didn't seem to want). He has had 5 dirty diapers and has slight spotting on a couple of others. It is hard to tell about the wet, but he has missed his diaper and had to have complete changes at least twice so wetting does not appear to be a problem. He was weighed naked at the Dr. two weeks ago. We bought a scale today to check weight gain (because he doesn't seem to be growing much) and it is less than accurate but puts him at or below where he was at the Dr's two weeks ago (6-14 to 7) with his clothes on. This is really discouraging. He also has been having an increased demand the last several days as if he is having a growth spurt! He wants to nurse longer and more often. The apparent lack of gain really upsets me!

I can understand why you are upset -- but try not to jump to any conclusions just yet. Different scales may be calibrated quite differently, as well as having varying degrees of accuracy even if they are both calibrated the same.

LLL says that a typical healthy weight gain in newborns is 1/2 to 1 ounce per day OVER THE LONG TERM (not from day to day -- babies don't grow in steady linear fashion.) We often see a slower rate of weight gain following jaundice treatments, as the bili lights can be somewhat dehydrating. Maybe his 3-week growth spurt is just hitting now -- park yourself in your most comfortable nursing spot and nurse like mad, and he may chunk up significantly over the next couple days.

If you and your doctor, with more information, determine that his weight gain IS slow, then be assured that there are responses to that situation that do not involve formula or panic. If you can boost the number of his feedings up to 10-12 times per 24-hour-period, that alone may get enough extra calories into him to turn the corner on this.

But again -- forgive me for repeating myself -- there is no need to panic, or even to draw a conclusion just yet. Nurse when he cues, or a bit more frequently if you can manage it without duress, and see what the doctor's scale says on Wednesday.

--Rebecca

Just an update. We went to the Dr. and the baby weighed 6 lbs. 14 oz. and was perfectly healthy in every way. My mother reported that I did not thrive as a baby on her breastmilk! I have started supplementing and he has gained weight immediately. I have a lot of milk and he was getting his belly full- but why could we not nourish him? I am now pumping, nursing and supplementing with formula. He is doing well.