Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting...a lot!

Default Biting...a lot!

My worst fears have been realized. My dd is almost 7 months and for the past month she's been biting me at least twice a day. I've pretty much had it and I'm ready to pack it in, but I thought I'd see if there is something I can do first. She's been on solids for about a month and a half now, and I don't think there's anything wrong with my supply, but she was biting me even before she started solids. Oh yeah, and she has teeth. Any suggestions before I start the weaning process?

Default Re: Biting...a lot!

Can I ask a few questions? What have you tried so far to try to get her to stop biting? At what point during nursing does she usually bite? Can you identify any triggers? Is she sleepy or awake? Your answers might help us to share more specfic knowledge/experience.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

I'm sure the links the PPs gave mention this, but in order for a baby to bite the nipple, they have to get their mout out of the regular feeding position and if you watch you can actually see their jaw change in order to get ready to chomp down. IF you can tell when your daughter is about to bite, you can take her off when you see it coming. I really hope you get the answers you need to continue breastfeeding

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09