Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help getting back on track!

Exclamation Need help getting back on track!

Hey everyone. I am a new mother of a 3-week-old (beautiful) baby girl. Before she was born I decided that I wanted to bf her exclusively at least until she was 6 months old. I had everything planned out and I just knew bf would be a walk in the park; after all, it's the natural thing to do how hard could it be?
    Boy was I in for a surprise! After 3 days of non-stop nursing, a VERY hungry baby girl, sore and cracked nipples and no milk I started supplementing formula and using an electric pump so I could bottle feed instead of bf. I now wish that I wouldn’t have. I’m afraid that my milk supply is getting too low. I’ve been using a Medela Lactina electric pump, and I pump every 3-4 hours during the day, and no longer than 6 hours at night. The problem is that I can barely pump 2oz from both breasts combined each time I pump. Early in the morning it’s a little more than that, but still, Justice eats at least 3oz in every bottle! I can’t keep up with her!
    I really would just like to start all over and give bf another shot. Is it too late? How do I switch and get her off the formula completely? She is a very sleepy eater, so if I don’t pump how will I know if she’s getting enough to eat?
    Thanks for any help you guys!
    April

Default Re: Need help getting back on track!

you could call your local leader, she can help beter than we can on-line.
    heres a good link to start with..
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

the best thing to do if you want to increase your milk, is to take the baby to bed and have a nurse in. AS long as you can.
    heres a link about how to tell if the baby is getting the milk they need
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

the best thing to do if you want to increase your milk, is to take the baby to bed and have a nurse in. AS long as you can.
    I second that.

Do you still put baby at the breast or just pumping and bottle feeding. The baby is way more efficient than a pump, so don't get to alarm by the amount of milk you're getting out. Believe it or not 2 oz at one time for a 3 weeks nursing relationship doesn't sound that bad, but the baby can get more than that by nursing. Nurse her on demand and pump after and get plenty rest.

When my lo was first born, I had so many problems breastfeeding. My nipples were cracked and I would cry sometimes from the pain. I supplemented for the first couple of weeks because I thought that would help. But the truth is once I let go of the bottle my nipples did not hurt nearly as much as they did. She was sleepy at the breast too, but then one day I just let go of the formula fall-back and we became in sync. As for the pumping, at first I would pump all the time because I was so engorged I had no choice... of course because I was supplementing and I would wake up in the morning with bricks on my chest. Do you really need to pump? If you have the option of only offering the breast, take advantage of it. As long as she has enough wet and poopy diapers you are ok. Nurse on demand and frequently. Once you two become one, she won't miss the bottle or the formula one bit.