Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think I made a big mistake

Unhappy I think I made a big mistake

When I went to the OBGYN last week they told me to go on the SouthBeach Diet. I told them that my milk seemed to decrease whenever I reduced my calories- even with as little as 100 calorie change. I started the diet with phase 2 becasue I really do need to loose the weight (currently 191 - hoping to be 150 again someday). I reasoned it as eating the same amount of calories with healthy food is better then eating a ton of sugar and fat. I have been on it for 2 weeks and noticed that my milk seemed to be going down. I added some calories back in thinking that I cut too much but my milk was still low and getting lower. I have now stopped the diet and still low supply. I am drinking lots of water and mothers milk tea. I have been pumping all day and the most I am getting is 2 oz. 2 weeks ago i was making about 5 oz. Is it possible that I am loosing my milk?

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake

I'm sorry to hear you are going through the stress of this!

Your pumping output is often NOT a 'true' indicator of your overall supply, though, so don't fret too much yet! I think I saw in a different thread that you posted to that you work OHM. Do you have days that you are home with your LO all the time (like weekends) and on those days, do you exclusively breastfeed - i.e., no bottles? If so, this could be a way to get a better idea of your supply. If you are ONLY feeding directly from the breast, does your LO seem satisfied? How many wet and poo'y diapers are produced? Are these numbers a noticable drop-off from before you changed your diet/had suspicions about your supply changing?

If you are concerned about your supply, the best thing you can be doing while you sort this out, is to have your baby on the breast as much as possible. Stimulation is the best for triggering the supply and demand relationship! If you baby demands more milk, your body will do its best to produce it....

Other things you can do at the same time are check out your pump.... is it functioning properly? What kind is it? Can you rent (even for a week) a hospital grade pump to see if you get better output that way (that would suggest maybe your pump is not quite right)?

Are you going through any other physical changes - ie., is your fertility returning? Any new meds? Any other changes that you notice??

How old is your baby? Your body's prolactin levels naturally drop 3 months postpartum and alot of women notice a decrease in milk production then - but that's nothing to worry about as your body will adjust production to demand...

If you can fill in some more data, hopefully folks here will have more pertinent suggestions for you! Meanwhile.....hang in there....keep baby on the breast as much as you can...and try not to stress too much!

-linda

My dd only gets bottles from 7am to 4pm Mon- Fri. She usually takes 3 to 4 bottles during that time. I feed her in the morning before work and after work and all week-end from the breast. Basically if I am there she doesn't get a bottle. Gabrie seems to be satisfied with our morning and night feedings and her diapers are wet and she has two dirty diapers a day. The pump I am using is the Ameda purley yours. It seems ok but now that you mention it I think i will change the valves to rule that out as a possible problem. I have a half day on Friday so we will get a little more quality bfing time. I am hoping that will do the trick. My DD is only 5 months old and I am not ready to stop BFing. I love it and so does she.
    I have not started menstrating yet but did think that might be a possibilty soon since I have a few familiar signs that it is on its way.

It sounds like things aren't going all that badly! The normal wet and dirty diapers sounds good - and having more quality skin-to-skin time from midday friday until monday morning will only help. You can try adding in another pumping session - which I know is easier said than done - to see if that helps supply. But keep in mind that you may not see any changes in your pumping output until about a week of doing this extra session, so if you do try it, don't be discouraged too quickly. Keep a careful eye on how things do go when you are only feeding from the breast; that, i'd think, would be your best indicator of your supply. Try to keep eating in a healthy fashion and if you make changes to your diet routine, take small steps.... those are likely to be the most long-term productive anyway!
    If indeed you are about to start your cycles again, that could introduce a temporary decrease in what you see as your pumping supply - but that will pass....

Keep us posted.....! Good luck!!
    -linda

Thank you for your response. Before I became a mommy i never worried. Now when it comes to her I worry too much. We fed great this morning and I have already made 2 bottles for tomorrow. I do however think that the decrease is calorie related. I ate a lot more yeterday and I woke up with plenty of milk this morning. I am the first to BF in my family and really appreicate the help of this site. Thank you again for your response.

If you think your monthly visitor is on its way back that may too be part of the answer... My supply drops around that time of the month. I am not having one with this baby, but I did spot the last 2 months for a day and still had the drop in supply.
    I would LOVE to be back to 150 but if I diet at all while bfing I too lose supply. I suck it up and figure this time is so short that it is worth the extra pounds and my time will come later. In fact I have only ever had enough time to achieve my goal once since having children and that was between the first 2 and second 2. My best way to lose VERY slowly while bfing is to cut all refined sugars and not eat after dinner but still eat as much as I want during the day.

Hope this helps